36. Mirage

Your mind should apologize to ya
Keep on tellin' all of those crazy lies to ya
You believe 'em, I don't wanna accept the truth
Who the f*** you kiddin', kiddin', what's the use?
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
India
I've been home for a few days now. I'm trying to adjust to it, but for some reason everything feels so new. I guess being cooped up for over a year does something to your spirit. I've gotten so accustomed to the bullshit I had to put up with, to the point where Chris's catering feels like a luxury.

I appreciate how much he's been trying to help me, but I can see he's struggling to adjust too. It seems as if something else is on his mind too.

"Chris, can I ask you something?" I mumbled as we sat together in the living room watching some movie.

"Sure. Wassup?" Then I froze. I was scared to ask him in fear he would take me as untrusting of him. It's been crossing my mind though, and I can't wait any longer.

"During that time period that I was gone, did you.. mess with anybody else?" I chewed on my bottom lip. Silence was shared between the two of us as the dialect on the screen played to fill the void.

"No." He finally answered. What took him so long? He's lying.

"Would you be mad if I did?" Chris spoke in a low tone.

"Honestly, I'm not sure." I told him the truth. We didn't share anymore words and continued to watch the screen.

"Did you see any other girls?"

"India." Chris spoke in a stern tone. I threw my hands up in defeat and stood up.

"I'm going to take a bath." I told him.

"You want me to come in with you?" Chris sat on the edge of the couch, preparing to stand up. I pulled my lips into my mouth and shook my head as I started towards the bathroom. Before I reached it, I heard a knock at the door. Me being nosy, I pivoted and peeked around the corner.

Chris stood up and walked towards the door opening it slightly. I got frustrated seeing that I couldn't see who was there.

"Hi, is India home?" A familiar, feminine voice filled my ears.

"Who's asking?" Chris responded rudely.

"Karin Jinsui. We worked together in LA." I heard her reply.

"Another Teaira? Yeah, no thanks." Chris began to close the door. I stepped out from the corner.

"Karin?!" I said, causing Chris to whip his head around. Karin leaned over slightly to get a better look at me. A perfectly aligned smile formed across her face. I pushed Chris to the side and gave her a huge hug. She hugged me back softly, although I know she wanted to tighten it.

"So it really is you, huh? Ms. Supermodel, living and breathing. Who would've thought?" Karin chuckled with a hand placed on my shoulder.

"What can I say? What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." I cheesed a little too hard. Man, I missed her. I could tell that Karin was a genuinely good person.

"I know that's right. Anyways, I don't mean to ruin the mood, but we've got some shit to talk about. If you don't mind?" Karin turned her attention towards Chris.

"Why I gotta leave?" Chris frowned, almost pouted. He's such a baby, I swear.

"Chris, what did we talk about?" I raised an eyebrow, hoping he would catch on.

"You'll tell me when you're ready." He muttered.

"Glad you know. Go ahead and go in the room with Royalty. Tell me if you need anything." I pecked his stubbled, unblemished cheek as he walked away. I turned towards Karin and gave her a look as we migrated towards the couch.