24•Ultrasound

Pregnancy week:20 weeks

"Kimberly May Mitchell." The couple we're now at the hospital, waiting for an ultrasound. Yes, of course they had previous ultrasounds, one to be specific, but yet Robert still felt nervous. There were no children in his family, therefore the only time he had witnessed an ultrasound was in old re-runs of 'friends' that Kimberly was always watching not when it was his child.

"Shouldn't be too long, take a seat." The lovely woman at the counter smiled.

Kimberly smiled and nodded before walking over to a corner and taking a seat, Robert following. "I need to pee." She mumbled.

"If I tickle your sides, would you pee?" Robert questioned, loving to frustrate his pregnant wife which was most likely not the best idea.

"Probably so don't, if you do I will piss on you." Kimberly grumbled.

"Why can't you go to the toilet anyway?" Robert questioned.

"It's something to do with the umm...like the...it's for-"

"You don't know do you?"

"Not a clue." Kimberly breathed through a small nervous laugh. "All I know is I can't."

"These things make me nervous every time." Robert mumbled.

"Make you nervous? I thought I was the one who had a woman prodding around their stomach for a person that's growing inside of her." Kimberly raised her brows.

Robert chuckled. "You know what I mean. it'll be fine."

"Mitchell? Kimberly May Mitchell?" A woman called. Kimberly nodded and stood from her seat, Robert copying the actions and connecting their hands together. The woman continued on to great the two and have Kimberly lay down.

As Robert sat in the seat, holding his wife's hand, he couldn't help but think of the first time they done this, the amazing sense of happiness he felt.

The woman ran the little machine along Kimberly's small baby bump and looked up at the dark screen, hardly anything was visible which only made Kimberly and Robert worried. Then something small was seen up on the screen, along with a tiny heartbeat being heard.

Kimberly started up at one of the screens, amazement filling her eyes. He mouth parted slightly as small, shallow breaths escaped. She couldn't quite believe what she was seeing.

As for Robert, he was a little confused at first but once he made out the small outline he realised what he was looking at. His child was on the screen, the child that he was patiently waiting nine months to be brought into the world. A large smile spread across his face and he turned his head to look at Kimberly who had a small tear at the corner of her eye.

Robert leant forward and kissed the tear away, holding Kimberly's hand tighter. "That's our baby, gorgeous."

Kimberly's smile grew larger at Robert's words, that was her child, her own child. The child she got to have with Robert.

"It seems healthy with a steady heartbeat." The midwife praised. "Now, in this scan I can of course tell you the gender, have you come to a decision on what you would like to do yet?"

"What?" Robert questioned. "You can tell already?"

"Yes, sir." The woman laughed a little. "I thought you would already know that. So you don't know what you would like to do as of yet?"

Kimberly looked to Robert and he shrugged. "Could we have a moment please? We shouldn't take too long to decide." She requested.

"Of course." The midwife nodded with a smile before exiting the room, closing it behind her.

"Did you know we could find out this early?" Robert questioned with his eyebrows furrowed.

Kimberly shook her head. "No, I thought it would be a little later."

"Shouldn't you know this stuff?" Robert asked, feeling rather confused.

"Shouldn't you know this stuff. I'm not the only parent to this child." Kimberly spat, quiet agitated already with Robert's words.

"That's not what I meant, you have three younger siblings, two of which you went to the baby scan and you have millions of children in your family anyway." Robert explained.

"I can't remember what I ate last night never mind years ago." She waved him off. "It seems rather soon."

"This baby thing is moving rather fast. I thought it would feel like years." Robert mumbled.

"Agreed." Kim nodded her head. "I didn't read any of the books either, not yet at least, I've mainly been looking at cribs and things because I've grown up all around children, therefore I know how to raise one."

"I thought it would still be like a blob inside you, not an actual person thing yet. Like, how can they already tell of it has a tinky or not." Robert rushed out.

"Did you just- are you- did you just call it-" Kimberly covered her face with her hands. "This man runs a multi-million company everybody."

"Hey, I know the things that count."

Kimberly's head shot to her left, glaring down her husband. "Are you saying this doesn't count?!"

"No no, of course it does, baby, I mean in the other aspect of things." Robert quickly covered up as Kimberly continued to glare at him.

"I don't know what to do." Kimberly admitted.

"What did your parents do with theirs?" Robert questioned.

"They found it because they had to save for months on end for baby things. They didn't have the money like we do to buy on a whim." Kimberly spoke truthfully.

"So should we find out?" Robert furrowed his brows again.

"It would be the easier approach but you said before how you think it would be nice to find out when he or she is born." Kimberly huffed.

"That is very true, wouldn't it just feel absolutely amazing." Robert smiled.

"So do we find out or not?"

"We have the luxury of being able to buy everything for this baby the day it's born so we wouldn't have to worry about getting the things a Neutral colour or the, so to say 'right' colour for a child." Robert spoke.

"The only reason I'm adamant that if it were a girl it would have to have pink and purple and a boy blue and red is because often, when baby's are born they will look like boys and then they get mistaken for boys even if they're girls and I cannot deal with that." Kimberly admitted "for example, Caitlin looked like a boy until she was a solid two and a half."

"I could only imagine how you would react." Robert smiled amusingly. "And I also know how much effort it takes to get a baby's room ready and how much your gasping to start painting and all sorts."

"But imagine the feeling of finding out on the day." Kimberly sighed.

"Oh god. Kimberly you're confusing me." Robert shook his head.

"I'm confusing me!" Kimberly whined.

Word count:1143

John legend - all of me