47•First Birthday

"We have the money. I say we do something big." Robert smiled as he took a seat in the couch. It was Jenkin's birthday and the couple still hadn't decided on what they were going to do, all they knew was it it was 6am and they needed to decide fast.

"He'll hardly remember it, and I want it to be something for the three of us, like just the three of us go do something with him." Kimberly's leg bounced in thought.

"He like the zoo." Robert mentioned.

"Hmm, he does. He liked the penguins, but he'll just want to watch them all day. He likes being in a pool but he can do that any day." She sighed.

"What about a holiday?"

"Robert, he's one." Kimberly rolled her eyes and laughed.

"I meant for us." Robert chuckled and began running his fingers up Kimberly's legs in a calming way.

"Why didn't we decide this earlier?" Kimberly whined.

"We did, we said we were going to have some family over to celebrate but you changed your mind last minute. I like the idea of it just being the three of us but it's hard thinking of something." Robert sighed.

"Fish!"

"What?"

"He likes the fish tank at the entrance of the office, and the small one in the staff room, he could sit for hours." Kimberly spoke while smiling.

"Aquarium?"

"Maybe, he seems to like fish. I just don't want to do too much because I know he won't remember it and I'd rather just have time with him properly, does that make me selfish?" Kimberly pouted.

"No, of course not. I know you hate having a nanny to look after your child, and I know you want to see him every moment you get, but that ain't possible, sweetheart. Trust me, it isn't selfish that you want to spend time with your son without your parents or lien constantly taking him." Robert smiles and kisses Kimberly's calf.

She smiled. "Thank you. We should maybe get dressed."

Robert helped Kimberly to her feet and the two made their way upstairs and into their room which was directly next door to Jenkin's. Kimberly pulled out a casual pair of shorts and a black shirt with a small read heart on the pocket and Robert pulled out black skinny jeans, tanned boots and a grey shirt. The who got showered and dressed in a comfortable silence and once they were finished they made their way back down the hall.

"Cinnamon, stop guarding the door, nothing so going to happen." Robert chuckled.

Then a quiet voice was heard. "Mumma." Jenkin had been babbling to himself for a while but they never brought him out of bed until he started calling for either us father or mother, otherwise he could get rather grumpy for a one year old.

Robert opened the door slowly and he saw a standing Jenkin trying to get out of his crib. "You're nowhere near, boy." He smiled and laughed a little.

Kimberly looked through the draws in search for some clothes for her son while Robert opened the curtains. "Happy birthday, boy." Kimberly smiled at her son.

"Baby out." He reached up in Kimberly's direction and so she picked him up out of his crib once she found the right clothes.

"What time is it?" Kimberley asked her husband as she laid her son on the changing mat and began changing his messy diaper.

"9:15."

"Okay, let's get him dressed and begin making our way out."
-
"Fish!" Jenkin smiled happily while clapping his hands.

"Look at that over there." Robert pointed to a large fish swimming about in the tank.

Jenkin's eyes widened at the size and he continue to smile making Kimberly's heart melt. "Do you want some ice cream, baby?" Kimberly questioned with a smile and Jenkin nodded his head.

Jenkin was on Robert's shoulders while Kimberly pushed his car which they used as replacement for a buggy. As they were walking Robert continued pointing at each of the fish for his son as Kimberly watched in awe. How did I get to be so lucky?

"You may want to put him down or he'll get ice cream on your head." Kimberly laughed.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea." Robert strapped Jenkin back in the small, red car and Kimberly continued to push him. Jenkin played with the buttons as Robert ordered ice cream for his son and wife - an ice cream he knew she'd steal most of.

As the man handed over the ice cream he passed the small tub to Jenkin and the cone to Kimberly, but before he did he ate half the ice cream straight off the top. "You're awful." Kimberly laughed.

"Yeah yeah, I know." Robert also laughed leading Jenkin to copy, even though he didn't know what was going on.
-
"Goal!" Robert shouted happily as he picked his son up and spun him around. Robert was teaching Jenkin how to play football, even though he was only young.

"I thought you said you played goalie when younger?" Robert mocked as he lifted his son like a trophy. Robert had been picking up Jenkin and making sure his son's feet were kept together and legs straight while he pushed him forward for him to hit to ball with enough power for it to roll into the goals.

Of course she was allowing the ball to go in the goals but she couldn't tell her son that, so she played along with Robert. Kimberly mocked Robert in a stupid voice and rolled her eyes. "Mumma!" The baby shouted happily.

"Jenkin." Kimberly laughed.

"Goal!" He shouted in a baby voice making Kimberly and Robert's heat melt.

"Ah, shall we take a break Robert questioned and carried Jenkin over to a sun lounger in front of the pool. Kimberly followed along and grabbed jenkin's beaker and passed it over to him to take a drink.

"Do you wanna see something funny, boy?" Robert laughed.

Jenkin nodded and Kimberly turned to look at Robert in confusion. "What're you- No!" Kim screamed as Robert picked Kim up from underneath her armpits and threw her in the pool.

"Mumma!" Jenkin shouted.

Kimberly stepped out of the pool, fully soaked from head to toe. "Bad, Papa." Jenkin glared at his father as he hugged his mother's legs.

"Not funny?" Robert pouted as he tried to keep in a small laugh.

"No."

"Oh, I'm sorry, boy. How can I make it better?" Robert questioned as he crouched down to his hight.

"I think you push him in the pool, boy." Kimberly laughed.

Jenkin nodded while giggling. Robert shook his head and laughed. "No fair." And then he stood next to the pool.

Jenkin stepped forward and lightly pushed Robert's knee. Robert pretended to fall back, acting rather dramatic and then he landed with a splash.

Jenkin began giggling even more and Robert pulled Kimberly into the pool once again and then he grabbed Jenkin and held him above the water with one arm and his other around Kimberly's waist.

Kimberly laid a kiss on Jenkin's forehead and another on Robert's cheek. I love my family. She thought to herself.