32•Needles

"Good morning sweetheart, how's my boy?" Robert smiled as he stepped into the ward where Kimberly and Jenkin had to stay.

"He's good, he's fed this morning but it was a hassle, I think it's going to have to be bottle feeds and not Breast feeding." Kimberly spoke while looking over to her son that was next to her in a small cot especially for newborn babies.

Robert wasn't allowed to stay past eight at night and due to Kimberly's organs being very weak she had to stay in for around four more days.

Robert smiled and looked to his sleeping son before turning to his wife and leaving a kiss. "And How about you, darling? Feeling okay? Need anything?" He questioned, taking a seat at the end of the bed.

"I'm fine, the doctors keep injecting me with stuff though, it's to help with the medication I haven't been taking while pregnant." Kimberly shrugged and then laid down in the hospital bed.

"Bed comfy?" Robert asked another question.

"I mean, It's okay but it's defiantly not as comfy as our bed." She sighed.

"It's not so comfy without you, love." Robert spoke truthfully.

"Awh, well aren't you sweet." She laughed. "You can hold him mind, if you want." Kimberly said, hinting towards their newborn son. He had been born almost two days ago but yet neither could properly believe they finally had a son.

"You sure? Should we leave him to sleep?" Robert queried.

"He's your son too Robert. Also, he's new born, he practically sleeps all the time." She waved him off.

Robert smiled and carefully picked up his son, cradling him in his arms. Robert smiled down at his son, amazed that he created such an amazingly beautiful baby boy. "Hello, boy." Robert whispered, making Kimberly — who was watching — smile. "I'm your Papa. Now, I know that may sound old but I'm not too old, though your mother likes to call me an old man sometimes." Robert chuckled a little. "I know you won't remember anything I say now, nor what I said yesterday but me and your mother went through hell to finally get you. Your mam can't have children but luckily, we were blessed with you. Now, Kimberly's told me stories of how she used to pull her father's chest hairs out as a baby and I beg you, don't do it to me please."

With every word Robert spoke Kimberly smile grew. The man she loved was sitting at the end of her hospital bed with their son — that they thought they were never going to get — in his arms.

"I wanted you to learn Dutch and have that as your first language but your mother kicked up a fuss over it, she said you must speak English so both family's can understand you." Robert laughed again. "You're gonna make me proud one day, I already know it. You know, I didn't want kids for a very long part of my life, it was your mother that made me change my mind and I'm so glad she did."

"Mrs. Mitchell, we need to take a quick blood sample." A male doctor interrupted Robert from continuing on to saying something else.

Kimberly sighed. "Okay, yeah." She nodded pushing her arms out, ready for the needle.

The doctor nodded and Robert stood from the bed, baby still in his arms. The doctor then took Kimberly's arm and stabbed a needle into her inner elbow. Kimberly's eyes were scrunched up, so was her nose. She always hated needles and Robert knew it too.

Just seeing the doctor taking her blood took Robert back. Back to when they were younger and things weren't so simple.

"You can't take me to the doctors! You aren't my guardian they won't listen to you. I'm fine anyway." Kimberly tried to get Robert to stop. They were both sitting in Robert's dad's car which he had drove down to Wales this time around.