Chapter 42: The spark comes alive again

Toni's POV

It's been like a week or two and Cheryl's been visiting me every single day, which was sweet. We've been flirty and stuff but nothing happened.

"Hey" I hear her voice again, snapping me out of my thoughts. I look up and there she is with a huge smile. "Hi" I greet her back with a smile. "So today is the day I get released. What should we do after that?" I tell her.

"Aren't you supposed to work?" She asks me. "I have a week off after this" I answer and she nods. "How about...a picnic?" She suggests.

"Sounds good," I say and she smiles. "I'll prepare the picnic!" She says excitedly. "Stay here!" She says.

"Like I can go anywhere"

She giggles and leaves.

1 hour later...

Cheryl just came back and helped me into the car. She's now driving to the place we're having the picknick. We finally arrive and get out. I see a nice picknick cloth and a cute little basket.

We both sit down and eat. Somehow, no idea how our fingers get tangled in each other.

Cheryl scoots closer to my side. We both look at each other and lean in, our lips connecting. I've been craving those lips ever since we stopped seeing each other. We pull back and smile at each other.

I wrap my arm around Cheryl and kiss her head. Together we continue to enjoy each other's company.
--------
--------
A few weeks later...

Reggie and Archie invited me over to hang out with the whole group and they told me that I was the only one missing since Cheryl left New York. I asked Captain Gray and he permitted me to go to Riverdale. So here I am, again but this time in front of Reggie's house. I knock and later, the door opens revealing Archie. ''Toni, long time no see'' He says with a smile and hugs me. ''Hey Arch'' I greet him and he smiles. I come inside and greet the others, sitting down next to Maya and Jughead.

''Hey, where's-'' I ask but get interrupted. ''Hey everyone, we're leaving'' Cheryl says, coming out of the kitchen with Josh. ''Yeah, we're going on a picnic date'' Josh says with a smile, making me feel...useless. 

''Oh, hi'' Cheryl says as soon as she notices me. I don't reply, I just nod. There's an awkward silence. ''Well, have fun'' I say and they leave. I get up and walk to the fridge. ''Hey guys?'' I ask everyone. ''Yeah'' They all reply. ''Do you by any chance know any girls?'' I ask them but nobody answers. ''Hello?'' I ask, walking into the room again. 

''You mean girls as in just friends, right? Tell me right now, Antonio Topaz!'' Kevin says, walking towards me.

''No, I mean as single girls I can date'' I say, taking a sip of my beer. They all look at me shocked. ''What?'' I ask them confused. ''Uhm hello! What about Cheryl? What about Choni for goddamn sakes!'' Veronica shouts, getting up. 

''Yeah Toni, I thought you guys were on a date yesterday'' Maya says. ''Aren't you still hung up on her?'' Jughead asks.

''One, yes I am. Two, thanks for reminding me how sad I am'' I say and he stays quiet.

''Look, guys, yes, I am still hung up on Cheryl. But I want her to be happy. Even...if it's with Josh. I have to move on'' I say.

''Damn, you can make a bitch cry'' Josie says, sniffling and Maya hugs her. 

I take off my jacket and throw it on the armchair. But what I didn't notice was that my pack of cigarettes fell out in front of everyone. I hear everyone gasp. ''What?'' I ask them. Veronica walks towards me and picks up the pack. ''Uh, how did those get there?'' I say with a nervous chuckle. ''ANTONIO TOPAZ, TELL ME YOU AREN'T SMOKING'' Veronica yells. ''Uh'' I stutter. ''HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE'' She asks me. ''What-'' I get cut off. ''HOW MANY'' She repeats. ''A couple'' I answer. 

"Juro por Dios que te voy a matar" She curses in Spanish. "I smoked since we broke up. It's the only thing that kept me going" I say. "It's going to kill you!" Betty says.

"Then so be it" I say and snatch the pack from Veronica, grabbing my jacket and walking out of the door.

---------