After The Benefits End - Part 8

“We’re here mate.” The taxi driver says to Dan, making me look around. Where were we?

“So where do I go now?’ Dan asked

“Go straight down this road...turn right and you won’t miss it.”

“Cheers mate.” Dan replied handing him the money before getting out. I opened my door to be met by Dan holding out his hand for me.

“Well aren’t you the gentleman.” I smile stepping out onto the cobbled ground

“I do try .” He replied smiling uncontrollably at me.

“Okay, you are so going to have to help me walk along here. Heels and cobbles do not mix” I giggle attempting to walk, clutching onto Dan’s arm for dear life.

“I’ve got you baby.”

I let Dan take the lead, as he knew where we were going. I linked my arm through his once we made it onto solid, stable ground for my heels.

“So , you going to let me in on where we’re going?”

“Not a chance.” He laughed as we continued to walk up a side road. “We’re nearly here anyway.”

We turned the corner and a huge smile spread across his face. I followed his eyes and then the same smile spread across my face.

“Are we going on that?” I ask and I feel Dan squeeze my hand tight.

“Sure are baby girl.”

“Oh wow”

We got closer and I was so excited. I’d lived in London all my life and I had never experienced going on the London Eye. I’d mentioned it to Dan don’t know how many times over the years, how much I wanted to go on it but never had the chance. I know it wasn’t the London Eye, this was the Manchester Eye but I was still so excited.

“Two please mate.” Dan says to the worker and we were led into one of the domes. The door shut behind us and I walked over to the rail before sitting down. I held on as we began to move slightly, letting more people get on below us.

I felt two arms slide around my waist and a pair of soft, moist lips press against my neck. “I think I can feel your butterflies.” Dan laughed down my ear, making me giggle.

“I’m so excited.” I reply turning around in his arms.

“I know it’s not the London Eye, like you wanted but...” he began before I cut him off, placing my lips against his.

“Dan it’s perfect.” I smile after pulling away.

I felt us move again as we began to get higher. To begin with it was just the shops and building around us I could see but the higher we got the more I could see. Before I knew it we were right at the top.

“Oh wow Dan...” I whisper looking out over this beautiful city, “It’s beautiful”

“You are beautiful.” I felt him whisper against my neck, making the butterflies flutter around in my stomach; just like they did the night he first kissed me in our kitchen. That boy did serious things to my nervous system.

“Thank you baby.” I reply turning around in his arms and placing a sweet loving kiss upon his lips.

“I love you.” He whispers, although there was no one else that could hear us.

“I love you too.” I reply smiling like the cat that got the cream, before kissing him once more. I gently stroked behind his ear and could feel him smiling against my lips.

“I’ve got something for you.” Dan says to me, in a more serious tone. I nodded smiling at him, 

“Dan you didn’t need to get me anything, just being here with you is enough for me.” I reply

“I know, but I want to...need to give you this.” He grinned pulling a black box from his jacket pocket.

“Oh my god” I gasp

***

He opened up the box to reveal a gorgeous teardrop cut diamond, on a fairly thin platinum band.

My heart was beating so fast right now, I felt sick, but excited and giddy at the same time. I was nervous as well. What was this about? I could feel my eyes prickling with tears as Dan slowly brings my right hand, that was at the moment covering my open mouth, along with my left hand. 

“Baby girl, before I say anything and make this really awkward...I’m not proposing.” He smiled slightly, but looked petrified.

“Oh good.” I reply, letting out a sigh of relief

“You’re happy about that?” he replied shocked at my reply to him

“Dan we are only at the beginning of our relationship, you are my best friend and I love you more than life itself but it would be too soon for us.” I smile at him and he nodded.

“I agree.”

“So are you going to explain, before my heart stops beating? It’s going so fast right now.” I giggle

“Well basically , all this stuff with the pregnancy scare and us finally getting together got me thinking. I never want to lose you. So I went with Luke and I bought this for you. I may have stolen one of your other rings to get the size right...” he laughed and I rolled my eyes at him, but stayed silent allowing him to continue.

“...basically this ring, from me to you...is a promise ring. A promise that I will always be there for you. Always be the one who you can turn to, lean on and protect you. I promise to love you until the end of time; nothing is going to come between us. Tink you are my best friend and I couldn’t want more from our relationship, because to me it is perfect. I promise you one day that I will be stood here, well knelt down, probably saying something much more romantic that what I’m sprouting out now, asking you to become my wife. But right now, I’m just going to ask you, to accept my promise.”

I could feel tears trickle down my cheeks and dripping off my chin. I dread to think of the state I will be in when that day comes. 

“Baby girl...will you wear this ring? As a acceptance to my promise to you?”

“I would love to Dan” I smile, wiping my tears from my cheeks before once again he took my right hand in his and slipped the ring up my third finger. It was a perfect fit, not too tight but comfortable. I wrapped my arms around his neck before crushing my lips against his.

Before I knew it our dome was back at the bottom of the wheel and the door was opening. We made our way out, thanking the man before Dan rang the taxi firm to send a car for us to get back to the hotel.

***

“Tonight has been amazing . All of today.” I smile stood in the bathroom removing my make-up.

“It really has . Now we need a full night’s sleep. We’re on the move again tomorrow.” He grinned.

“Where are we going?” I ask putting toothpaste along my tooth brush.

“Just somewhere.” He cheekily winked at me before walking into the bedroom.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to get it out of him. He kept all of today from me. I finished off in the bathroom before walking into the bedroom to see Dan taking his shirt off. I walked over to my suitcase and pull out one of Dan’s old tops to get changed into. Dan was taking off his jeans placing them on top of a chair as I slipped my maxi dress off allowing it to fall to the floor. I stepped out of it, placing it over my suitcase before turning around to see Dan staring at me, biting his lip.

My eyes scanned down his body, he was just stood there in tight black Armani boxers and I smiled to myself. 

This boy was actually mine.