Chapter 4

Jamie

I walk to the pathway leading to the front porch and watch as Benji jumps all over Patrick and licks his face. I ignore my brief feeling of jealousy as Patrick smiles at Benji and pets him.

"What are you doing here?" I say. I can't ignore the nerves I'm feeling, but I try to control them. I hope I don't sound as nervous as I feel.

Patrick stands up and Benji eagerly runs up the steps to the front door, eager to get inside. But I stop moving. For some reason I'm unsure of what to do, or how to act.

"A little late to be going for a walk isn't it?" Patrick says. I could be wrong, but he sounds kinda nervous too.

"I could say the same thing to you." His car isn't in my driveway, he walked over here.

He nods and shoves his hands into the front pockets of his jeans.

"I didn't like how I left things earlier. I'm sorry." He's not looking at me, his eyes are darting around, like he's trying really hard to look at anything but me.

"Right" I say quietly. My turn to not look at him.

"Jamie, I -" he sighs, like he doesn't wanna say whatever he was about to say.

Benji whines at the door, and I decide I need to go inside. It is fucking freezing. And there's no reason I shouldn't invite Patrick inside. I don't normally invite him, normally he just shows up unannounced and makes himself at home. This entire situation is just making me feel uneasy. Maybe if we go inside it'll feel more normal.

I walk past him up the porch steps and unlock my front door. I open it and step into the front hall without a word to Patrick. Benji walks around me and heads straight for the stairs. It must be after midnight now, Benji doesn't usually stay up this late. I know I won't see him again until I go up to bed. I turn around to see Patrick standing awkwardly on my porch. It's weird that he hasn't just followed me inside and closed the door. I don't like it. I'm not inviting him in, he knows he's always welcome.

I walk through to the kitchen and hang up Benji's leish (I didn't even use it) then lean against the kitchen counter, waiting for Patrick to appear. When he does, he still looks awkward. I feel so uneasy. Is this how it's gonna be now? If so, I know The Middle are doomed. I feel my stomach lurch at the thought, and my head spins a little. I do not like this at all, and suddenly I wish he would just leave.

"You're never normally so shy around here." I point out. My voice is still quiet, and my eyes still aren't meeting his.

"Well, considering what happened the last time I was here..." He trails off at the end. We both know what happened.

"I haven't heard from you since you left." I wanna know why he hasn't messaged me.

"I can't find my phone." Patrick says, before shoving his hands into his front pockets again. I get the feeling he's trying to mask his nerves, just like me. "I think I left it at the hotel, hopefully Jay has it."

The mention of Jay's name reminds me that this world doesn't just consist of Patrick and me and our awkward tension. I pull my phone out and turn it on. While it's loading, Patrick speaks again.

"Have you heard from Jay today? Or Joel?"

"They've been talking in the group chat, nothing significant. I haven't read all the messages."

My phone comes to life and I open our group chat.

"They've asked what we're doing and if we're alive. Jay tried to call me a couple of hours ago too." I sigh and put my phone down.