Chapter 41

Jamie

“So, I assume you’ve made your mind up about him then?” Jay asks me as I walk back into the garage, still a little stunned.

"What?” Is all I manage to say.

“He just shows up here, then kisses you goodbye like that, like it’s no big deal.” Jay points out. “So you guys are back on?”

“No!” I say too quickly. “I haven’t talked to him since Thursday. That was totally random.”

“Are you gonna go to his dorm tonight?” Joel asks me cautiously. I can tell he’s looking at Patrick for a reaction.

“I... I don’t...” Why the fuck can’t I form a coherent sentence right now?

“You should go.” Patrick pipes up. Wait, what? Why would he want me to go? “Not like you have anything better to do tonight.”

His voice doesn’t falter at all, and when I look at him, he’s looking at me like this conversation is completely normal. And it would be, before... But now? How is Patrick being so cool about the prospect of me spending the night with Noah? Why is he telling me to do that? I don’t get it.

“Good point, Joel and I won’t be around, and Patrick will be with Amanda, right?” Jay beams at Patrick. For fuck sake, Jay, would you stop pushing this Amanda thing already?

“Maybe.” Patrick says, shrugging his shoulders like it’s nothing.

What the fuck!? I feel a horrible weight in my chest when he says this. I don’t want to spend the night with Noah, but I really don’t want Patrick to spend the night with Amanda. The thought of him touching her the way he was touching me last night, and kissing her, and looking into her eyes while she gasps his name over and over again...

No, I can’t.

“Awesome, dude! Do it! You won’t regret it.” Jay is ecstatic about this. “Well, you know, unless she turns out to be a total psycho, but I think she seems cool.”

“Yeah, she’s cool. Worth a try, I guess.” Patrick says.

Seriously?! I feel like he’s stomping all over my heart right now.

“You sure?” Joel asks, the worry evident in his voice. “I wouldn’t want you leading this poor girl on.”

“Oh calm down, Joel. It’s just a date. If it doesn’t work out, fine, she’ll be fine. Girls know how this shit works as well as we do. Tell him, Jame.” Jay looks at me expectantly. But I can’t speak. I feel like I wanna throw up, actually.

So instead of saying anything, I walk over to the stairs as calmly as possible, although I know the guys are all watching me. When I reach the stairs, I run up to the kitchen and close the door behind me. I’m either gonna cry or throw up, so I head through to the bathroom. I sit down on the bathroom floor with my back against the door and take a deep breath. This has been the shittest rehearsal ever, and we haven’t even started.

“Jame, you okay?” I hear Jay ask from the other side of the door.

“Yeah, I’m fine, I just suddenly felt a little nauseas.” I’m not even lying.

“You need anything? Some water or pain killers or something?”

“No, I’m good. I’m not feeling up to rehearsing though.” I want them to leave.

“Oh, okay. Well we could go to the store now if you want? Or leave it until later if you’re too sick?”

“Yeah, I’ll go later. Thanks Jay. Have fun in New York, tell Erin to FaceTime me tomorrow if she wants. Drive safe." Please just go, and take the other two with you.