Chapter 24

Jamie

I turn on my heel as I feel the tears coming and begin running down the garden pathway towards the street. I can hear Patrick calling my name, but I don't turn around and I don't stop running. I just wanna get away from this house, and all of the people in it. I wanna go home and cry to myself and cuddle Benji.

As soon as my feet hit the sidewalk I start jogging down the street, with tears falling down my cheeks slowly. I have no idea if Patrick is following me, I kind of doubt it though, if he were he'd have caught up to me by now. God, I hope he's okay. Shaun did get a couple of punches in. Shit, I didn't even check if he was okay. I should go back.

I stop dead in my tracks and lean against a tree to catch my breath. God, I'm out of shape. Okay, breathing is slowing a little now, good.

I turn around and see Patrick walking towards me. So he did follow me. I start walking towards him.

We stop in front of each other, and we both say "Are you okay?" at the same time. I wait for him to answer first, I'm not the one who got punched.

"I'm fine. What about you?" He says after a pause. There's no anger in his tone of voice anymore.

"I'm fine too." I reply. "Sorry for the outburst back there, it's been a weird day."

"Its been a weird few days." He says quietly.

We both just stare at each other for a few seconds. There's so much we need to talk about, and we both know it. But right now, we're both lost for words. Patrick breaks the silence.

"Shaun's face is a mess, but he still has all his teeth, unfortunately. He's gonna tell his dad some drunk guy picked a fight with him for no reason."

I frown at him. Shaun actually agreed not to tell people he fought Patrick? I'm a little surprised.

"Its like you said, he doesn't want people knowing I got the better of him."

He pulls a black beanie out of his back pocket and throws it onto his head. I study his face properly and see that he has a cut on his right cheek and his skin is a little broken just below on his chin. It's definitely gonna bruise later.

"What are you gonna tell people?"

"Same thing, I guess. Jay and Joel will probably put two and two together though, they know I went to the party and they know I hate that guy. I don't really care what they think, though. He had it coming."

"He did have it coming." I agree.

"He shouldn't have said all that stuff about you, and he sure as hell shouldn't have tried to kiss you against your will. But at least you can see him for what he really is now. You should stay away from him." He looks down at the ground. Thinking about me and Shaun is not his favourite thing to do.

"I already was staying away from him. Well, besides going to that party. But I only went because I thought you were there. With Amanda..." Now I look at the ground.

"You know I don't like Amanda." He says, before sighing and rubbing his chin. It's gotta hurt. "I was never gonna touch her tonight, I was just trying to piss you off earlier after I saw Shaun kissing you."

I know that. We don't need to keep talking about it. And I'm so tired. I can't keep thinking about all of this shit, not tonight, anyway.

"But I know now, I had no right to feel pissed off anyway. You and me. We're not..." He gestures between the two of us before shrugging his shoulders in defeat. I know what he means. We aren't together, so I can kiss whoever I want. And so can he. But... I don't want that. What the fuck do I want?