Chapter 56

Jamie

I still remember my first real kiss. I was 14, and it was awful. It was wet, sloppy, messy, not the stuff of dreams at all. His name was Andrew O’Connell. We were walking home from school together, and he asked if he could kiss me, just to try it. Just like that. He was so confident, and he was okay looking, so I said yes. But, like I said, it sucked. But everyone has a first kiss, and I bet barely anyone has a good first kiss. So, it got better after that. With practice. Quite a lot of practice. More practice than I’m proud of. What I’m getting at is, from Andrew O’Connell to Noah Adams, kissing has majorly improved. Noah was definitely the best kisser I had ever had, and back when I first kissed him, I didn’t think it would ever get any better than that.

Until Patrick.

I was 13 when I met him, and I had my first kiss at 14. I can’t help but wonder if I’ve been missing out all this time. If Patrick and I had kissed when we first met, would it have been as good as it is now? I have absolutely no clue, all I know is, I had no idea it was possible for kisses to be this good. Until him.

I know I shouldn’t be kissing him right now, okay? He’s with Amanda and he wants to get over me. This is a moment of weakness, and I fully intend to apologise to him, just as soon as we stop. I hope we don’t stop any time soon, though. It doesn’t seem like he wants to stop anyway.

He was just pissing me off so much, going on about how much he needs to stay away from me and how much he needs this time away from the band. Then telling me it’s none of my business who he spends his time with. What the hell was that about? I could feel the anger building up inside me, and the part that angered me the most? Him being so fucking clueless about how I really feel about him. He’s acting like he has no idea that I like him too. I as good as told him I love him that night at Shaun Campbell’s party, I’ve slept with him four times now, I wanted him to spend the night with me after that last time at his mom’s place, and I ended things with Noah. What isn’t he getting? Why is he being so fucking difficult about this? He likes me, apparently, and I love him. I don’t see the problem, besides Amanda. But I’m not thinking about her right now. I’m only thinking about us.

I was just so mad at him just now and he was standing there in front of me, glowering down at me with his dark eyes and twirling his fucking lip ring with his tongue. And we were standing so close to each other. I was either gonna kiss him or punch him. It was an easy call.

So here we are, kissing in the middle of the park, the lanterns from the Fairy Woods are glowing faintly in the background from the direction we just walked in, there’s no one else around and I’m pretty sure it’s about to start raining. Not that I’m focussing on anything other than Patrick’s hands pulling me into him by my waist, or his tongue massaging mine, or the pure state of delirium he puts me into every time he kisses me.

But yeah, it is definitely raining now. I can feel the light drops of water hitting me on the head and the face, but I don’t care. I’m not stopping, and I hope he won’t pull away either.

He doesn’t. But the rain is coming down heavier now. As I run my hands through Patrick’s hair, I can feel how wet it is now. Fuck, we can’t just stand here kissing all night in the rain, we’ll freeze to death. I have a plan.

I push Patrick backwards, guiding him towards the wooden boat house sitting on the edge of the lake. I expect him to break away from me, but he doesn’t. We’re both far too caught up in this now. I push him up against the side of the small wooden building, thinking we may get a bit of shelter from the rain here.

This was a good plan. I ignore the fact that moving over here has barely sheltered us from the rainfall at all, but it’s far easier for me to push myself up against him this way. My hands are around his neck and his hands are still around my waist, and our lips are still locked. He’s pulling me into him like he’s afraid to let me go, like if my body breaks contact from his for even a moment this will all be over and we’ll have to go back to the reality of our situation. We’re on the same page, I don’t wanna pull away from him just as much as he doesn’t wanna let me go.