Chapter 11

Jamie

Amanda? That girl Amanda? I haven't heard anything about an Amanda. What the fuck is this about? I turn around to face them, and lean against the kitchen counter. I need to see where this is going. Patrick is still staring at his phone screen. I can't tell how he feels about this line of questioning. Especially when we both know that those hickeys came from me.

"Who's Amanda?" Erin asks.

"Some girl he fucked." Jay explains casually. "He took her to the Winter Fayre the other week though. So I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious."

Jay and Erin both laugh, and Patrick puts his phone down on the table. He doesn't look at me, but he says, "It wasn't her. Can we drop this now?"

I turn my attention back to the kettle. The water has boiled now, so I grab my Friends mug from out of the sink, and open the cupboard to get the instant coffee out.

"Anyone want coffee?" I call over my shoulder, before anyone else has a chance to continue talking about Amanda.

"Not worth risking my life, Jame." Jay calls over.

"So how was she?" Erin asks Patrick. Damn, I thought giving everyone a window to make fun of my instant coffee may have put a stop to this conversation.

"Erin..." Patrick says, he's trying to make her stop. And I notice my hands are shaking a little as I spoon a heaped teaspoonful of coffee granules into my mug.

"What? I'm taking an interest in your sex life. God knows no one else does around here." Erin says flippantly.

"Yeah, there's a reason for that Er." Jay says. "You've never had to sit and listen to him try to count all the girls he's hooked up with."

I hear Erin laugh as I stir my coffee. I still don't wanna turn around, so I take my time. Much more time than necessary.

"So you really don't wanna tell us about this girl?" Erin asks Patrick.

"No, I really don't." He replies. Thank god.

"So she was nothing special then. Fine." Erin says casually, officially closing the conversation about Patrick's New Year's Day one night stand (even though it was technically the Second, today...) And no one suspects a thing. Phew.

I relax a little, throw my teaspoon into the sink, and just as I'm turning around to face my friends and taking a sip of my coffee, I hear Patrick speak.

"Actually, she was pretty special."

I nearly choke on my coffee and I feel the colour drain from my face instantly. What the hell, dude?! Why would you say that!? Do not attract further attention to the situation! I look at him, and he's staring at his phone intently, trying to suppress a small smile. Jesus Christ, he could not look more smitten right now if he tried. Not good, this is so not good! Jay looks completely shell shocked, and Erin looks like she just won the lottery. Fuck. They aren't gonna stop questioning him about this now. Patrick has never described a girl as 'special' before. Hell, if I was acting like I usually would, I'd be freaking out right now. I'd be jumping all over him begging him to tell us about her. But I can't do that right now, no chance. So I remain quiet. Erin and Jay both have their backs to me, I should be okay. My pale features won't betray me. They won't suspect a thing.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jay asks Patrick in complete disbelief, at the same time Erin cries, "Ohmigod this is so exciting, you actually like someone! Ohmigod!"

Patrick laughs, not looking up from his phone. He doesn't say anything more.

"Well tell us about her then!" Erin shouts at him.