Chapter 36

Jamie

I grab my coat from the kitchen and pull a beanie over my head before saying bye to Benji and running out the front door. I lock the door behind me, then pull my phone out of my pocket as I get into my car. I call Patrick without hesitation, but he doesn't answer. I kinda thought he wouldn't. If he really is giving Pete a drum lesson he won't hear his phone ringing. So I drive over to Lola's house. I am nervous, but the adrenaline is pushing me forward. I know I can't talk to Patrick about what I want to talk to him about in front of his family, but I'll figure it out. His car is here, so I park and go to ring the doorbell. He must be here. I jump up and down on the balls of my feet a little as I wait for someone to answer the door. Finally the door opens, and it's Steph.

"Jamie! Hey, Patrick's here if you're looking for him. Come in." She stands aside to let me into the house and I smile at her as I step in to the entrance hall.

"Who is it?" I hear Lola call from the kitchen.

"Jamie!" Steph calls back as we make our way towards the kitchen.

"Which one?" Lola answers jokingly.

"Hawkins." I say with a smile as I enter the kitchen. Lola's standing at the kitchen sink washing up some dishes. She dries her hands off with a towel before turning to give me a hug. She knows I'm not a hugger, but she won't be stopped. I've tried before, it's a waste of breath.

"Good to see you, Jamie, it's been a while!" She smiles at me as she releases me from her embrace. "You want some soda? A coffee? The boys are downstairs." She waves her hand towards the floor and turns back to the kitchen counter. Steph laughs.

"Yeah, Pete's not picking up drumming as easily as Patrick did. It is kinda like torture having to listen to this." Steph says, rolling her eyes.

I look down at the floor, but I don't hear any drums. "I can't hear anything."

"That's because I needed a break." Pete has entered the kitchen now, he's sweating and he looks like shit. I bet he's had a difficult day, what with his hangover and all.

"I have had enough of this for one night. Mom, please make him leave." Pete says, sounding exhausted and pulling up a chair at the table.

Just then, mellow drums can be heard coming from downstairs. Patrick's playing, I'd recognise it anywhere. He's playing the beat from one of our favourite Jimmy Eat World songs. I smile to myself as I listen.

"Why doesn't it sound like that when you play?" Steph asks Pete, sticking her tongue out at him.

"Fuck off!" Pete snaps at his sister, earning himself a light smack around the head from his mother.

"Language!" Lola cries. "Just because you can drive now and you wanna learn how to play the drums, doesn't mean you need to start talking like your brother too. I swear, Jamie." She shakes her head at me and I laugh. "As soon as I catch girls sneaking out of your room in the early hours of the morning, you can move in with him!"

"Why would there be girls sneaking out of Pete's room?" Steph asks innocently.

"Never you mind that!" Lola says to her daughter, waving the kitchen towel at her. "But bare it in mind for when you're older. Never stay in boys rooms." Good advice, Lola.

The drums have stopped now, and I feel a little nervous all of a sudden. Patrick's probably making his way upstairs.

"I don't wanna stay in a boys room, especially if it's anything like Pete's room. It's disgusting." Steph says, screwing her nose up at her brother. My phone vibrates in my pocket so I pull it out.