Chapter 27

Jamie

The second I turn around to face Noah, I feel the butterflies in my stomach speed up significantly at the sight of him. Why is he so pretty? Seriously, it's not fair. His black hair is a little longer than it was the last time I saw him, clearly he didn't get a haircut during his time at home. It's messy, but still looks good of course. He's smiling at me, which is something I'm still not used to. He was just so moody in the beginning, I still question whether or not he finds it painful when he smiles, on account of his face not being used to exercising those muscles. He's wearing black jeans, a denim jacket and a white t-shirt, and he looks gorgeous as always. Just what I need right now. Not.

But that said, I find myself comparing him to Patrick for the first time. They both have black messy hair, but Patrick's is better. Patrick's features are all dark, so his hair just sort of compliments his face better or something. And the way his hair is usually always a little pushed back from wearing his headbands when he's drumming is just so hot. And I love Patrick's tattoos and piercings. Noah doesn't have any tattoos or piercings. Not that that really matters of course, it's just a personal preference of mine. But still, I'm standing here looking at Noah, who is totally fucking gorgeous, and the reality is - I'm realising he is no where near as gorgeous as my friend Patrick. He never was, I just didn't think about it that much before...

"Hi." I say to him, and it comes out like a squeak. I sound like a timid mouse. Awesome.

"It's good to see you." He says, still smiling. Weird.

"Um, thanks." What the fuck? I don't really know what else to say, and I'm aware that Jay and Joel are intently pretending that they're not listening to this pleasant exchange.

"So, um, when are you guys playing?" He asks me, sounding a little nervous now. "I thought we could maybe go back to my dorm for a bit after? You know, to talk."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. I don't know why I'm surprised; I've known for days that Noah and I were gonna be having a 'talk' tonight. But hearing him actually say the words is strange. I'm not used to him taking things between us so seriously.

"We're closing tonight, and there are twelve acts." I look over at Shaun's band playing on stage. Ten more acts to go until I'm up. I wish I could fast forward time and get this 'talk' out of the way.

"Oh okay, well, I'll be around. Zach and John are at the other bar with Kim and Aubrey. I'll come find you after." He gives me another weak smile. What's with all the smiling? It's making me feel more uneasy than I already did.

"Yeah, sounds good." I say, before trying to smile back at him. I cannot act worth a damn, and my face doesn't want to smile right now.

"Okay, well, good luck up there." He says awkwardly. That's more like it. He turns to walk back up to the middle level, and I exhale. But then he turns to face me again.

"I've missed you."

And with that, he's gone.

"So, you're going to his dorm?" Joel asks. I blink a couple of times, startled by what Noah just said to me. I get it together then turn back around to face Joel and Jay.

"Yeah, looks like it. We need to talk somewhere, so why not?"

Honestly, I'm glad he wants me to go to his place. That way, I can leave whenever I want to. If we went to my house, it might be hard to get rid of him. Wait, why am I even thinking of potentially getting rid of him or leaving his place quickly? I should be excited to see him. I should be eager to talk to him and get everything straightened out. I should want to get things back on track with him. I should feel relieved, because I've missed him. Shouldn't I?