Chapter 42 (Noah)

Noah

“So she is coming?” I ask Zach, picking up a couple of bottles of coke. There’s Jack Daniels in the dorm already. Jamie’s favourite.

“Yeah, well she's going over to Kim's to get ready with them or whatever it is they do before going somewhere.” Zach tells me, before tossing some Doritos into the cart. “We need dip too, this way.”

We walk through the aisles of the supermarket, throwing random items of food and drink into our shopping cart. Will's gonna be back any minute now, so Zach and I decided to do the groceries before he gets back. Saves time.

“But she hasn’t given you an answer yet?” Zach asks me.

“Nope. And I told her about Sam. So I don’t know where her head is.” I consider telling Zach that Jamie slept with someone else too, but that’s not my business to tell.

“Yeah, she probably just needs some time to decide whether or not she can trust you.” I don’t think that’s what it is, but I can see why Zach would think that, so I don’t correct him.

“But if she’s coming over tonight, that’s a good sign.” He assures me as we approach the cash register with our cart.

“Yeah, hopefully.”

When we get back to my dorm we put all the stuff away, put the Doritos and dip out on the coffee table and make sure there are plenty beers chilling in the fridge. By the time we're opening our first beer each, John arrives.

“Hey, Aubrey and the girls will be over at about 7.” He tells us.

“So they’ll be over at about 8, then.” Zach says, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, pretty much.” John says, laughing. “No Will?”

“Not yet, he shouldn’t be long though.” I reply, sitting down with my beer.

“So, have you told Will?” John asks me. “You know, about all this Jamie stuff?”

“Yeah.” I reply, enough said.

“And does Will know everything?” Zach asks me with a raised eyebrow. Right as the door opens and Will walks in with Madison.

“Well hello there!” Will exclaims, and I give Zach a small nod. Will knows I slept with Sam. And he knows I’m waiting for Jamie to tell me whether or not she wants to be my girlfriend.

“Hey you two, how was France?” John asks, helping Will with some of his bags.

“We were in the French Alps, John. Get it right.” Madison tells him rudely. She hasn’t changed at all.

“Sorry, so, how were the French Alps?” John asks.

“It was awesome!” Will says, throwing an arm around Madison and smiling at her. “She still can’t ski, though.”

“Ugh, shut up.” Madison says, smiling at Will and earning herself a kiss on top of her head.

I hope this isn’t how tonight’s gonna be once Jamie, Aubrey and Kim get here - everyone acting like couples. Not that I wouldn’t wanna do that with Jamie, I just don’t know if she’d want me to.

We catch up with Will and Madison, and luckily for me they have so much to tell us about their trip they don’t get a chance to ask me about my situation with Jamie before the rest of the girls arrive.

When they walk in, I instantly know that Jamie’s uncomfortable. She looks like she doesn’t wanna be here at all. Aubrey and Kim have done their hair and make-up, and they’re both wearing pretty dresses. Jamie has thrown her hair up into a messy bun on the top of her head, she’s wearing her glasses and her face looks paler than usual. She definitely hasn’t bothered doing her make-up. And she’s wearing a grey hoodie, plain black t-shirt and ripped skinny jeans. Yeah, something tells me she doesn’t really wanna be here.

“Hey guys!” Aubrey says, kissing John briefly on the cheek before smiling at the rest of us.

Kim snakes an arm around Zach’s waist and in turn he wraps an arm around her shoulders and kisses her on top of her head.

Jamie immediately walks over to the kitchen counter and pours herself a Jack and Coke. I don’t miss Will and John eyeing me with worry. Aubrey looks a little worried too.

“So, Maddie, Will, how was France?” Kim asks.

“Okay, let me stop you right there.” Madison says, pointing a finger at Kim. “We were in the French Alps, people!”

Will rolls his eyes and laughs at his girlfriend, and I take the opportunity to approach Jamie while all the others are busy catching up. But Aubrey breaks away from the rest of the group to stop me in my tracks.

“Be careful, she is not in a good mood at all.” Aubrey warns me quietly.

“Why?” I ask.

“She hasn’t really said. But I suspect it's because of you. Just watch yourself with her tonight, don’t push her.” Aubrey gives me a small smile then walks back over to John and the others.

Well, that’s hardly fair. Jamie’s friends better not all think I’m the bad guy. She slept with someone else too. Does anyone even know?

“Hey, are you okay?” I ask Jamie as I approach her. She’s pouring Coke into her Jack. I notice there's quite a lot of Jack in the cup, more than she'd usually pour.

“I'm good thanks, you?” She says, without looking up at me.

“Yeah, I’m good. Listen, does anyone else know... You know?” I ask her quietly, to be sure the others won’t hear.

“What?” She snaps her attention up to me at last, picking up her cup and taking her first sip.

“That you were...with someone.”

“Oh, no.” She says quietly, looking down into her cup.

“Right, I haven’t told anyone because it’s not my business. But they all know what I’ve done. I don’t know, I kinda feel like the bad guy here.” I explain.

“Well you’re not the bad guy.” She says evenly. “And I didn’t think you cared what other people think.”

“I don’t, but you’re the one hiding the fact that you’ve slept with someone else too.” I point out.

“Excuse me?” Her eyes widen at me, and I notice Aubrey and John (who are closest to us) watching us curiously.

“Can we go talk in my room?” I whisper.

“Not right now, I just got here.” She says, taking another sip of her drink. “Later.”

And with that she walks further into the living room and greets Madison and Will with a forced smile.

Fuck, I have a feeling this night is not gonna be fun.