Chapter 28 (Patrick)

Patrick

"So, drink?" Jay asks, looking between me and Joel. "Or do you just wanna get out of here to hide that ugly face of yours?" That last part was just for me.   

"It's not that bad." I say, instinctively touching my busted cheek. "Let's get a drink." 

We head back out onto the stage and down the steps towards the lower level bar. Some people have left, but there's still a fair crowd loitering around. Jamie's friends Aubrey and Kim are making their way down to the lower level with their boyfriends. Perfect. I approach the bar ahead of Joel and Jay. I'll get the drinks, so that I can avoid talking to Jamie's friends. I order a Jack and Coke, a vodka soda and a Bacardi and Coke. I'm aware that my car is outside, and Jay probably drove the others over here too. But I'll worry about that later. I want liquor, no beer.

"I'm not drinking that, I drove over here." Jay says as he joins me at the bar, taking in the drinks in front of me. I'm already half way through my own drink. 

"So pick your car up tomorrow." I suggest with a shrug.   

"I guess." Jay considers it for a moment, then picks up his cup.    

"You guys were awesome up there!" I hear Aubrey's voice, so I turn away to face the bar. I cannot be bothered explaining why my face looks this way.   

"Did Jamie leave already?" I hear Kim ask. I'm aware that I'm being pretty rude right now, but I've been rude to these guys before. They shouldn't read too much into. 

"Yeah, she left with Noah after we came off stage." Joel says to the girls.   

I down the bottom half of my drink and signal over at the bar tender for another. I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve, which I know was only four days ago, but with everything that's happened since then... I think I deserve a drink tonight.   

I can't believe Jamie walked out of here with him, holding his fucking hand like that. I don't know what I'd expected, I knew she'd be leaving with him, but I never thought she'd let him hold her hand like that. It's pissed me off, even though I know I have no right to be pissed off. After everything I've put her through so far this year... 

The bar tender puts a fresh Jack and Coke down in front of me, and I half consider turning around to engage in the conversation going on behind me. But I don't want to. So I rest my elbows on the bar and continue staring ahead at a bottle of Greygoose vodka in front of me. I never drink vodka. Maybe I should try it. Apparently that Greygoose shit is good. From the corner of my eye, I notice another set of elbows coming to rest on the bar next to mine.   

"What's going on with you?" Joel asks me, his voice lowered so that the others can't hear.
I'm not in the mood for his shit right now. 

"You know damn well." I don't look at him, I just continue glowering at the Greygoose bottle.
He glances over his shoulder at Jay talking to Jamie's friends. I can hear that John guy asking Jay something about his guitar now. Boring.   

"Did you get into a fight with Shaun Campbell last night?" Joel asks me.  

I smirk, then give him a sideways glance. That answer your question, Joel? 

"For fuck sake, Patrick!" He hisses at me. "Because he kissed Jamie?" 

Wait, Joel knows about that? 

"She told you about that?" I ask, finally turning to face him. He looks far too concerned about this. 

"Yeah, she did. But she didn't mention anything about any fights. Does she know?"