Chapter 33

Jamie

Pete is clearly wasted. He slumps down onto the other sofa and rests his head back, staring vacantly up at the ceiling. Patrick looks pissed, presumably because he’s been out collecting his drunken brother from god knows where. Surely he’s not glaring at Joel and me because he just came home to find us sitting next to each other on the couch wrapped up in a blanket. Surely not.

“Don’t be stupid, Pete. We’re just talking.” Joel says.

And what a talk we’ve had. Joel knows everything now. And he didn’t react like I expected him to. No, he was patient and he listened with barely any interruptions or questions as I told him the whole truth about what’s happened between Patrick and me since New Year’s Eve. I told him how we 'almost' when we got back to my house that night, then how we 'almost' when we woke up the following afternoon, before Noah called me. I told him about how bummed I felt when Patrick wore his hoodie home that day, and how he brought it back over later. I told Joel about how Patrick came back to my place that night, and we talked, and he told me in no uncertain terms about how he’s had feelings for me since the day we first met. I told Joel that I didn’t really believe it, but Patrick convinced me. I told Joel that we ended up sleeping together, but I didn’t give Joel all the details. He knows we slept together, then Patrick spent the night, then we slept together again in the morning… No mention of showers! Or the couch in my garage... I told Joel about what happened at Shaun Campbell’s party, but he already knew that Patrick was responsible for fucking up Shaun’s face – Patrick told him earlier tonight. I told Joel that Patrick decided he wanted to give me space, given everything that’s going on between me and Noah right now, too. And Joel listened to everything I had to say. He hasn’t told me off about any of it. He understands, I think.

I also told Joel that I know he has known about Patrick’s feelings for me since the Ed Sheeran concert. So, I asked Joel why he’s been so against the idea of anything happening between Patrick and me, and his answer was surprisingly simple; in case I didn’t feel the same way. Joel explained it, and it makes total sense. He’s been worried about Patrick telling me he likes me as more than a friend, because if I didn’t feel the same way it would have ruined our friendship, and The Middle. Joel explained that he and Patrick both agreed not to ever make a move on me, back when they first met me. Jay told them I was off limits. And it was fine, it was never something that ever crossed any of our minds. Or so I thought.   

And right before Patrick and Pete came in, Joel asked me what I plan on doing about this whole situation. And I don’t have an answer to that question anyway, so Patrick and Pete’s arrival was timed very well.

“You are looking smoking tonight, Jamie.” Pete drawls, trying to wink at me in his drunken state. He just looks creepy.

I pull the blanket up over my chest, suddenly aware that I took my hoodie off earlier and I’m just wearing a vest top. Yeah, cover it up, Jame.

Patrick picks up a cushion and throws it at Pete, “Shut up and go to sleep.” He then walks out into the hall without another word.

I gather up the blanket and throw it over to Pete. “Here, sleep tight.”

I stand up, intending to follow Patrick, but I feel Joel’s hand around my arm and look down at him.

“Let me talk to him first, please.” Joel stands up and leaves the room, so I sit down again.

“So, Jamie.” Pete slurs, kicking off his shoes and laying down on the sofa with the blanket over him. “Would you ever consider sleeping with me?”

And, I’m out. I ignore his question, stand up and leave the room. As I approach Patrick’s room, I can hear him and Joel whispering harshly to each other. As I push the bedroom door open, I catch a snippet of their conversation.