Chapter 29

Jamie

“You want a drink?” Noah asks me, opening the fridge and removing a beer.

“You got anything stronger?” I ask. My nerves are through the fucking roof, I need a real drink.

“Sure.” He smiles at me then pulls a bottle of white wine and a bottle of Greygoose out of the fridge. “Wine or vodka?”

“Wine, please.” I answer. I’m sitting on the couch with my hands in my lap like a frightened rabbit. I’ve never felt this uncomfortable in Noah’s dorm. I even wish that Will was here with Madison. Knowing that I’m totally alone with Noah is doing nothing to ease my nerves. I’m hoping a glass of wine will help.

“Thanks.” He hands me a mug filled with wine and I take a big gulp. I’m not gonna get drunk of course. Initial classes start tomorrow, and I fully intend on attending all of mine. My love life may be in a complete state of disarray right now, but I can control my Education at least.

“So,” he says, sitting opposite me on the coffee table with his beer. “I need to start by apologising again, for that stupid argument we had on New Year’s Eve, and for not taking you to the City with me. I should have invited you, and I honestly don’t know why I didn’t.”

He takes a swig from his beer. He doesn’t look as stressed out as this type of conversation would normally make him. It’s weird. He seems so confident, and I don’t know how I feel about that. Maybe he’s not planning on telling me about the girl he made out with.

“Its fine, Noah, honestly.” I tell him. “I probably wouldn’t have come to New York even if you had asked me, I wouldn’t have left Benji.”

“You could have left him with Jay or Patrick.” He says, shrugging his shoulders. A fresh wave of nerves hits me as he says Patrick’s name. “But that’s not the point, I should have at least asked you.”

He takes a deep breath and looks me in the eye before he speaks again.

“I slept with someone in New York, the day after Christmas.”

Okay – what?