Chapter 63 (Patrick)

Patrick

Unknown Number, 17:03pm: Hey, it's Lindsay Irvine. I just wanted to let you know I'll be back in North Bridge on Monday for my great aunts funeral, she died this morning. If you wanna grab a coffee or something let me know. It was good catching up with you the other day, you helped me more than you'll ever know.

How did Lindsay Irvine get my number? Whatever. I shrug that off and reply to her straight away.

Me, 17:04pm: Hey, sorry to hear about your great aunt. Of course, coffee would be good. I hope you don't mind me asking though... Why aren't you coming back into town sooner?

This is Friday. Her family are all gonna be sitting around drinking tea with the curtains drawn, mourning. If she doesn't wanna be a part of that, fair enough. But she came into town pretty quick when her great aunt was terminal, so why not now? I'm curious.

Lindsay, 17:04pm: My car is in the shop, the guy told me I won't get it back until Monday morning at the earliest. My parents are busy with everything too, I don't wanna bother anyone so I just told them I'll see them Monday. It's no big deal. I'll see you then too!

Me, 17:05pm: I can pick you up tonight if you want? I'm not doing anything. Seriously, it would be a welcome distraction.

Lindsay, 17:05pm: A welcome distraction from what?

Shit, did I actually say that? Fucking moron.

Me, 17:06pm: Let me pick you up and you'll find out. I've always wanted to see Cornell, what do you say?

I've never wanted to see Cornell. And I can make up some excuse about being preoccupied by some shit at school or something. I really wanna do this, though. Because it will be a welcome distraction.

Lindsay, 17:07pm: Okay, I'll tell my mom I'll be home later tonight. Thank you, Patrick!

She adds in some details about how to find her dorm, and in no time I'm picking up my keys and heading out the door.

I went to classes today, met Dale Forbes for a coffee after, got into the apartment, read that text from Lindsay, and now I'm in my car heading to Cornell. Amanda wanted to hang out tonight, but I told her no. I'm kinda keeping my distance from her for now because she always asks me about Jamie, and I can't do it. Not right now. So this is perfect. Keeping busy is good. And I genuinely had no other plans tonight, so Lindsay's text couldn't have come at a better time. Jay asked me to go over to hang at Jamie's again, and I was going to... But, not until later. Now I have an excuse for not going to her house at all, which is great. I need to start getting over her properly. Talking to Amanda about her and being in her house all the time is not achieving that. Driving to Cornell is a much better idea. Awesome.

I pull up outside Lindsay's dorm around an hour later, and as expected, she's sitting on top of a small suitcase patiently waiting on the sidewalk outside her front door.

She smiles at me as I get out of the car to greet her. She looks fine, for someone who's recently learned that their great aunt has passed.

"Hey, sorry for your loss. How are you?" I ask, because what else can you say in situations like this?

"I'm fine. Honestly. It's like I said before, she was not a nice person." Lindsay gives me a small smile as she wheels her case over to the curb. I pick it up for her.

"Wow, chivalry isn't dead." She says sarcastically and I laugh.

"Rumours of my assholeish nature have been greatly exaggerated." I reply lightly, while slamming the trunk closed, her case safely inside.