Chapter 51 (Noah)

Noah

"You know, it wouldn't kill any of you guys to go out and get a job." Kim says, slamming my burger down in front of me on the table. "We're adults now, we shouldn't be relying on our parents giving us money anymore."

"My parents don't want me working yet," Zach explains, tossing a fry into his mouth. "They want me to concentrate on my studies and worry about getting a full time job after college."

"Yeah, me too." Aubrey contributes.

"Same here." John says.

Kim glowers down at me with a hand on her hip, waiting for my response. "My dad sends his alimony money direct to me."

We all laugh at this and Kim stalks off from our table in a huff. Clearly, the novelty of having a part-time job is starting to wear off.

"What's so funny?" A familiar voice asks from the other side of the table. Jamie's here.

"Oh, just Kim being dramatic." Aubrey explains as Jamie slides into the booth next to her.

"Oh, just for a change?" Jamie replies, and we all laugh.

She seems happier today. Her face has more colour, it looks like she's actually brushed her hair, and I think she's wearing lipstick. I hope things are looking up for her now.

"I thought we were gonna hang at your place?" Jamie asks Aubrey.

"I know, but Kim picked up an extra shift so we decided to come here and bug her." Aubrey replies with a laugh. "We won't stay too long. So, how was your weekend? Did you just hang out with Joel?"

"Yeah, we went to a movie on Saturday. Didn't do much besides that. What about you guys?"

Aubrey, John and Zach begin telling Jamie the riveting tale of their boring weekends. There was no alcohol involved for any of us, and the most exciting thing I got up to was beating my 10K PB yesterday morning. But I'm wondering why Aubrey specifically asked Jamie if she hung out with Joel all weekend. Why Joel? What about Jay and Patrick? Seems an odd thing to ask.

"Aubrey, why did you specifically ask if Jamie was hanging with Joel?" I ask her, my curiosity getting the better of me. The others all give me funny looks, including Jamie. It's a random question, but I wanna know.

"Oh," Aubrey looks guilty, like she's just realised she said something she maybe shouldn't have. "Just because Joel's been staying at Jamie's."

He's been staying with her? What?

"Yeah, we're going through a bit of a rough patch with the band right now. Joel and I have sort of been comforting each other this past week I guess. But he's back at his apartment now." Jamie explains quietly. Reluctantly.

Comforting each other? What exactly does that mean? Note to self: ask Sarah about this later. But my attention is more taken with the news that there's trouble in paradise with The Middle. They're all so close, this is very strange news indeed.

"What's going on with the band?" Zach asks innocently. I wanna know this too.

"Didn't Kim tell you?" John asks him, and he shakes his head.

"It's nothing." Jamie insists, staring at the salt shaker in front of her. "We're just taking some time off right now. Getting some time away. It's no big deal."

"Why did Joel move in with you if you guys are taking time away from each other?" Zach asks, sounding puzzled. I'm wondering the same thing myself.

"Guys, let's just drop it, okay?" Aubrey says. "We don't understand the dynamic, so we won't understand what's going on. Now let's get Kim back over here so Jamie can order some food."