Chapter 35

Jamie

The next morning, and I’m adding the finishing touches to my make-up. I’ve already taken Benji for a walk, showered and had my breakfast. The only reason I’m even putting on make-up is because I look like hell. I have bags under my eyes and I look like I’ve been crying for days. A little foundation and mascara fixes my face, and I even apply some lipstick since I look like all the colour has been drained from my features. I don’t feel great, considering everything that’s gone on over the past week, but I can pretend I’m okay in front of my classmates. And with that, it’s time to head to college.

I am nervous. I can’t pretend I’m not. I’m worried that I’ll bump into Noah today, although I know we don’t have any classes together this semester. I still have Guitar with John, but that’s fine. I like John, and something tells me Noah won’t have told him about anything. I’m worried about seeing Patrick too. And Joel. After I left their apartment last night I came straight home and went to bed. I haven’t heard from either of them since, but it’s only been like 8 hours. I can do this.

I pet Benji goodbye and open the front door, and I instantly relax when I see my best friend leaning against his car smoking a cigarette. Jay. The most impartial person in all of my drama right now. Mainly because he doesn’t know about any of it... Well, besides the limited things I’ve told him about my Noah situation. If he knew about my Patrick situation, Jesus. I’m just gonna ignore that for now.

“What are you doing here?” I ask him with a genuine smile. I am really glad to see my best friend right now.

“Figured I’d come by and make sure Benji was fed and watered.” He exhales some smoke as he pushes off of his car and walks over to me. “I thought you might have spent the night at Noah’s last night. Clearly, you didn’t. How’d it go?”

Shit. This is fine. Just be honest. But vague. “He asked me to be his girlfriend, I told him I needed space, and I left.” Nailed it.

“Really?” He raises his eyebrows in disbelief and I sigh. His reaction alone tells me that no one ever expected Noah to take me seriously.

“Yes, Jay. Is it so hard to believe that he actually wants us to be a proper couple?”

“No, I knew he was gonna ask you out, Kim and Zach told us after you left the Grill. I’m surprised that you didn’t say yes. What gives?” He flicks his cigarette butt away and looks at me meaningfully, waiting for my answer.

“Oh.” Noah was telling the truth, Zach and Kim really did know he was gonna ask me out. Well, that’s something. “I don’t know what I want and it took me by surprise. That’s all.”

“Okay.” He looks around a little awkwardly. “You wanna talk about it?”

“No thanks, Jay.” I smile at him, he’s too cute. “I had a pretty good talk with Joel about it already. And I’m gonna FaceTime Erin later.”

His face lights up when I mention Erin. Obviously, he was waiting for me to mention her. I know he‘s gonna be careful about how much he talks about her now that they’re a couple. He doesn’t wanna go on and on about her all the time. But she’s always been a central topic of our conversations, I really don’t mind.

“I told her you were with Noah when I called her last night. She wanted me to let her know how it went, but I said she should wait until you talk to her yourself, you know? She’s your best girlfriend after all.” He rambles.

“She’s also your actual girlfriend.” I smile at him again and he laughs. “You guys can talk about me all you like. I give you consent to share information about me with Erin. That’s how couples are, I get it, it’s cool. So are you gonna give me a ride to school now or what?”