Chapter 8

Jamie

As I open my eyes, I can feel the smile spreading across my face. The sunlight is pouring in from the window, but this time, I feel good. I feel lighter than air.

Until I notice the body snoring beside me isn't Patrick's. It's Benji. And I'm fucking naked.

"Benji, down!" He startles and jumps off of my bed, before trotting out of my room, unimpressed by my command. Poor guy, he doesn't realise how weird that was. I mean, he was laying on top of the covers, and I was beneath them, but still.

I sit up in bed, clutching the blankets around my naked body. Did Patrick leave while I was still asleep? I really hope not. Has he completely freaked out and defaulted into 'one night stand' mode? Shit!

I look around my room and notice the clothes I was wearing last night are folded up neatly on top of my dresser. The clothes I left lying on the garage floor... Patrick must have gone down to pick them up. I really hope he didn't leave. I'll probably have a nervous breakdown if I'm left alone with my thoughts this morning...

I get out of bed and throw on a t shirt and my pyjama shorts. I can smell coffee. Okay, that's a good sign, he wouldn't stop to pick up my clothes and make coffee if he was trying to sneak out of here.

I make my way down the stairs, and when I enter the kitchen I can see Patrick, fully dressed in his clothes from last night, sitting outside on the patio step drinking coffee, watching Benji happily sniff around the back garden. He picks up a tennis ball and throws it over to Benji. I love how much he loves Benji. I pour myself some shitty instant coffee (he's put a heaped spoonful into my favourite Friends mug and left it sitting next to the kettle) and pad over to the patio doors. I clear my throat and he turns to face me.

"Good morning." He pulls his lip ring between his teeth before smiling up at me. God, he's so gorgeous. How have I never felt my heart flutter like this the other 5 million times he's smiled at me?

"Is it morning? I haven't even checked the time yet." I say, noticing my phone is still sitting on the kitchen counter where I left it last night.

"No idea. You need to tell Mike to get some clocks in this house. It feels like morning though." He says, facing Benji again and taking another sip of coffee.

He's wearing his clothes from last night, but his hair is a little damp. He's had a shower. I love that he doesn't feel awkward, he's acting perfectly normal. I make a mental note to do the same.

"I gave Benji his breakfast, god knows you'd probably forget." I can see a smile forming at the corners of his lips.

"Hey, shut up. I take good care of Benji." I pad across the kitchen and pick up my phone. It's dead. Oh well.

Patrick walks in from the patio doors and puts his empty mug down in the sink.

"Why didn't you wake me?" I ask him.

"You were fast asleep, and you looked pretty cute." He smiles at me sheepishly. Aww.

"And you were snoring so loud, I just wanted to get out of there." He adds.

"Hey, I do not snore!" I put my hands on my hips. He just laughs at me.

"Did you shower?" I ask him.

"Yup." He looks me up and down in mock disgust. "You should too."

I roll my eyes at him and he laughs. I'm so happy we're acting this way. All the awkward weirdness is totally gone. Who knew hooking up would fix things between us? I guess we both needed it.

"I could join you if you want." He's still looking me up and down, and licking his lip ring.

Yes, so much yes.