CHAPTER 21

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you are the world." - Bill Wilson

Sahil

I realised too late that I was stupid.

You know that feeling when you are too involved in someone to care about others and let out your mouth blubber something, and everyone looks at you, and you realise you should have shut your mouth long ago. Well, that's pretty much how I am feeling right now.

Only when the class was engulfed in silence and pairs of eyes x rayed me up to down.

Let me be honest; I felt very self-conscious.

Ayesha stood between professor and me, her arms folded and looking at the window outside, a feeble smile playing on her lips. All the attention has turned to Ayesha, and she is just staring out of the window.l

"So," I say, minutes of silence later.
Heads turned to me, including Ayesha's.

God, I have done horror movies, but never was my set/scene this silent. This is really making me feel very, very, very uncomfortable.

"So..." I trail away for the third time, earning no response. They continue to look at Ayesha and me as if they were solving a jigsaw puzzle, and the last clue was hidden amongst us.

"So what?" The professor asked me.

"Um, sir, can I have Ayesha Mehra? "

"Why?" The professor looked at the pair of us, figuring out the last clue.

How do I answer this now?

"I have got to talk to her, you see. " and when the professor raised his eyebrows, I said "personal issues".

Thankfully, the professor did not elaborate. However, the next question was unexpected,

" And you are?"

"Eh?"

"How are you related to her?"

What the hell, should I say? My best friend? My problem solver? My crush? The girl I love?

And I gave the stupidest answer possible.

"Her brother."

Ayesha turns to me at once; she slams a hand on her head, but when everyone looked at her, she pretended as though brushing off her curly hair from her forehead.

"Her brother?" the professor asks.

"Yeah, sure, her brother," I say in a more convincing tone that it sounds like I am convincing myself.

The professor 's eyes linger on mine for a moment and then,

"You decide, Ayesha. You have not been listening to my classes; you will not understand if you skip--"

"I'll go, sir." She said, "I can manage" and before the professor could say a word, she had packed her books and come out.