CHAPTER 55

Dedicated to iananyakaushik

Ayesha

I was there outside the studio, with Kumar, clasping my hands together, as Sahil stood alone on the other side. A glass partition separated us, and only a few of us were on my side; I, Kumar, two music directors and the producer.

As Sahil sang, I couldn't hear the voice of him, but he did sound so energetic. A smile was plastered on his face, as the background music came, and he would occasionally glance at me, and I would give him a thumbs up. Kumar wore a satisfactory smile and the music directors and the producer, exchanged looks; impressed.

And once Sahil had sung, all of us stood up, clapping appreciatively, as he gave a bow, and darted outside the room.

The music directors and Kumar began their discussion on something about the song, and I stood there awkwardly, glancing at the door, waiting for Sahil's return.

"Um-" I began, uncomfortably, "Can I go to the washroo-"

"Certainly, Ayesha!" Kumar said brightly, looking up. He gave me a small wink, and I blushed and quickly walked out of the room.

I ducked invisible strands of hairs, as I glanced behind frequently, making sure there was no one following me. I was also looking our for Sahil if he was standing anywhere close.

And finally, as I reached the end of the corridor, I was quite disappointed that I hadn't managed to find Sahil. And then, suddenly, I was pulled back by my forearm and slammed at the wall.
Sahil stepped close enough, almost pressing his body to mine. And before I could get the time to calm my nerves because of the sudden ambush, his lips were slammed to mine.

Taking one of his hands from behind the wall and holding my face, and the other finding my waist, I slowly began to close my eyes, responding, equally willing.

After a particularly long kiss, he withdrew, panting, mainly because of the urgency and necessity of the kiss perhaps. I slowly opened my eyes, to be met by his brown-black eyes, shining with tears of happiness and joy.

His both hands surrounded my waist, remaining there firmly and pulled me more closer to his torso. I placed my hands on his shoulders, observing the happiness on his face.

In my two-year-old friendship with Sahil, never had I seen him this happy, as I saw him now. Currently, he was oblivious to all the pains, thoughts and worries. His eyes gleamed with tears of joy.

"I don't know what to say, " he whispered,

"Don't say anything, " I replied, smiling.

He didn't have to. The silence between us was comforting. It was solacing, and we could understand each other perfectly. No words were required to delineate his tears of accomplishment, and no words were required to portray my happiness.

The tears crowded in Sahil's eyes began to fall, one by one on my cheek, such that they joined together with my tears, and together rolled down my cheek. And for once, neither of us attempted them to wipe them away.

******

I rubbed my hands nervously on my pants, as my boss, Akanksha Sinha, sat before me, surveying my leave application with her big black glasses, which she rarely wore, looking really intimidating.

I never expected Thursday to arrive so quickly as I was enjoying and drowning in happiness. Sahil and I have been enjoying our moments together and have been entirely happy. I was also humming in the cafeteria, stirring my straw in the cup of cold coffee, until Amala came over and teasingly asked if I had found a boyfriend.