CHAPTER 66

Ayesha

Have you ever felt all your breath sucked from your body, in a second, making you feel incomprehensibly blank? Like suddenly the sun sets in an abrupt second, making you dwell into darkness? Like the entire world began to stop spinning, leaving you alone? Like all blood was drained away from your body, without warning?

That's exactly how I felt now.

"Ayesha?" Dr Mathew called out gently, but no word or response would leave my bloodless lips. No emotions passed my pallid face.

The wall clock in the room ticked like the timer on a grenade. The bare realisation that I can't stop it or reverse it is the only thing I can analyse at this moment.

"Ayesha?"

My hands reach out to the reports, and I began to rummage through them, scanning them, disbelieving the words that I heard minutes ago.

'He is lying! He definitely is lying! It can't be true! It just can't!" I fretted to myself, ransacking the reports. But I frigidly stop when I see the result that has been interpreted by the scans.

"I have-ca-cancer?" I ask, more to myself, my voice shaking very severely and quivering with disbelief. My hands reach my mouth, covering them, to stop them trembling vehemently. My eyes are fixed to the result analysis that has been written in bold black letters. Dread owns me, crushing against me like an unseen gale, attempting to push me into the sea of pain. An icy emotion creeps up my heart and seals it with numbness, making me unable to speak.

"How?" I demanded, after a long minute. My voice came out as a choked whisper.

"The tests have been... " Dr Mathew trailed away, interlocking his fingers, and surveying me, his eyes brimming with pity and sympathy, "unexpected, but its the truth, "

Dampness brim my eyes, threatening to overflow, as I stare at Dr Mathew, unable to delineate his words. My vision is blurred as a myriad of tears clung onto my eyes.

An uncontrollable and a dreadful exhilaration swirled in the room, as a solitary tear skidded down my trembling cheeks, splashing in the cotton outfit I was wearing.

In my heart, I felt murky emotions burst. Numberless thoughts churned within me. It seemed my heart was blazing in an inferno of unbelief, and then was replaced by a ball of icy chillness. My mind was unable to rationalise. As countless feelings took birth in the conflagration of my insides... And a desperate hope glued on to them...

"Is there... Any chance..." I couldn't complete it. My lips wouldn't allow me to do so, but Dr Mathew understood the unspoken question and gazed at me with limitless sympathy.

"My dear... It's a severe condition. They have detected a growth in your brain. Its slowly bound to multiply and..." He waited, and looked elsewhere, not meeting my gaze.

"How serious is it?" I necessitated.

The answer to my question was bound to be known. I needed to know the answer.
Dr Mathew placed his forearms on the desk and fiddled with them with his thumbs. I kept an intent gaze on him, waiting to hear his answer. His answer was crucial now.

"Stage Three," he whispered at last, unwillingly. "And seeing your reports, there is a high chance that it will escalate to stage four, almost in no time at all."