01: DNA

2020, the current year

The lecture hall was only embellished by the sound of writing pens and fingers tapping on laptops. Every student was immersed in the teacher's lecture, not daring to miss any issue of the speech.

"As you well know, DNA is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all living organisms, responsible for hereditary transmission. The segments of DNA that carry this genetic information are called genes and genome" Mr. Kim said tapping his marking pen on the displayed image from the projector.

"The genome is the set of genes contained in the chromosomes, which can be interpreted as the totality of the genetic material that we possess as a species. And the whole of all this information is what we know as genotype" he said with a final smirk, showing his dimples.

"Can someone explain what a genotype is?" he asked pausing the tapping his fingers on the wooden desk to scan the faces of the students in the front of the hall, his eyes settling on an alpha boy sitting in the second row. "Park Jimin," he said eyeing the book of students' names on his desk.

The dark brown-haired boy gulped making his Adam's apple bob as he stood from his seat, gaining the attention of almost every student in the lecture hall.

"Yes, Mr. Kim... The genotype is the genetic code that determines our characteristics by the DNA sequence. This is what determines us as alphas, betas, or omegas" the boy known as Jimin said, confident in his words even when he was trying to make himself smaller.

The professor grinned at the answer, nodding. "Very well Mr. Park... But how do we know what genotype is in our DNA? Mr. Park, do you know yours?"

The boy nodded. "My genotype is alpha, with a dominant alpha gene and a neutral beta gene. That makes me a common alpha"

"Just like me," Mr. Kim said with a smile. "This information is inherited by our parents and a blood test can determine your accurate genotype when you reach sexual maturity. You can sit Mr. Park" the professor spoke, and the boy sat down finally relaxing, earning some snickers from fellow classmates.

"So to explain how our genotype works I will make a didactic exercise. I'm aware we have here all types of genotypes and their sub-genes" Professor Kim said gaining some groans, whispers, and cheers from students.

"Don't call me, don't call me... Please don't call me" Jimin muttered to himself sinking slowly in his seat because he really didn't like to be exposed.

"Park Jimin"

"Fuck" He mumbled, standing up again with a contrite smile.

"Come," Mr. Kim said eyeing the book with students' names. "Mr. Jung Hoseok, come here too. Miss Kim Jennie and of course, Mr. Kim Taehyung" he said smiling widely.

Park Jimin was making his way to the front with the other students when he caught the boy Kim Taehyung groaning loudly for having to show himself in front of the whole class. Jimin smiled fondly at him and just kept walking.

"Perfect," Mr. Kim said arranging the students in the same order he called them. "Let's begin"

"Mr. Kim? Are we using the lovegen app to display our whole profile?" Jennie asked while fixing her long piggy tails with her fingers.

Kim Namjoon's smile disappeared, replaced by a stern scowl. "No need. I have your information right here" he said tapping his hand on the book lying on his desk. "Besides I believe not everyone has that thing," he said earning a bunch of whispers from students.

"Who doesn't have it?"

"Someone who doesn't want a soulmate"

"Who doesn't?"