6

Pledis Central

Welcome to the 200th annual ceremony, friends and family please stay seated in the audience while all involved step to the front of the stage and take a blindfold from the box.

As per protocol I will run through the proceedings of the ceremony, at exactly 12pm all those 21 years of age will have their eye colours turn either serenity or rose quartz. This will determine whether you will spend the rest of your lives in Healina or Odera. This can't be negotiated, there is a 80% chance you will stay in your place of birth however you must trust your eyes.

If you are assigned to the territory you weren't born in you will be then taken to the other side where you will be temporarily homed with a willing resident until you find your feet.

Any attempts to dispute the system will result in execution without trial, if the system is compromised the well-being of society as a whole is lost. Trust in the system here at Pledis.

Seungcheol let out a sigh as he walked up to the stage, the dome really was breathtaking with the vast stage and glass wall separating the two sides. He'd never gotten a chance to come an observe the people of Healina. He scoffed at how refined they looked, it was a totally different culture.

"Can you believe all those pussies?" Jihoon said from beside Soonyoung, indicating towards a mass of people pushed up against the glass desperately trying to look for relatives and loved ones.

"It's ridiculous, they're not like us and they should just get over that." Soonyoung commented, the two had accompanied Seungcheol to his ceremony since he had no guardians to do it and they had some time to kill.

"I'd hate that," Joshua spoke up, gesturing to mass of people on the Healina side, "To be torn apart from someone you care about so dearly, to not be able to ask how they're doing or anything, it just doesn't seem right." Jeonghan pursed his lips and nodded, he felt like everyone was provoking his mind to spin further and further out of control intentionally.

Jeonghan and Joshua walked up the stairs together, Jeonghan loosely holding onto Joshua's arm as they reached the stage. They picked up silk blindfolds that were a light purple, this colour was actually banned in any other circumstance, it represented the combination of the two colours, it represented rebellion.

Jeonghan didn't really see why they had to make the ceremony so intense, they could easily have everyone in rooms and quietly be allowed to see their decision themselves but no; they were put on show like they were in a menagerie, trapped animals with no control over their fate.

Mirrors were placed in front of everyone coming of age. The kingdoms were actually quite small so all the 21 year olds from both could fit on the large stage, 220 in total. It would be the individuals that could see their eyes first but when the mirrors were removed everyone would be able to see their result, for all three boys they'd never been so they didn't know what to expect from the crowd but they knew it couldn't be good.

Seungcheol was really quite fine, he just wanted it to be over already so he could have a look at all the newbies from Healina up for grabs, he couldn't say he wasn't interested in some fresh meat and finally someone his age.

Jeonghan knew Sanha and his mother were in the crowd, he deliberately stood in front of them so he could easily locate them but with the minutes drawing ever closer his palms began to sweat. He really felt dizzy with the amounting pressure.

Joshua was calm, he was blindfolded by this point so couldn't see the state of his quivering friend but it was a big help for Jeonghan when he grabbed his hand and massaged calming circles into it, a quick "It's going to be okay." was whispered and it began.

A drum began to beat, 3 drum beats and it the change would commence.

thud

This one moment had the ability to change everything, it was so meaningful.

thud

No turning back, no second chances, no middle ground.

thud