50

Healina

It was a slow Saturday afternoon in the cafe, Minghao was sat on top of a table, staring at his favourite combat boots as he swayed them back and forth whilst tapping a paintbrush on his lips.

A large watercolour set was laid out next to him along with a plethora of miscellaneous items he figured he might want to use in his work. It was peaceful for him being so disconnected, painting gave him a small escape from the chaos of his troubles whether that be his family, his 'friends' or Jinjin who was currently shouting at him from across the shop to sit on a chair like a normal person or just go to his room.

Minghao's art was certainly abstract, allowing his vivid thoughts to be pulled onto a small canvas he rested on his knees. It would've continued to be a peaceful afternoon if it weren't for the latest chime at the door.

He peered over and saw a woman he never expected to see. "Holy fuck, mum?" He questioned, disregarding his language as he was sure he was staring at a mirage.

At the doorway stood a beautiful woman, although in her late forties she looked so graceful, long black hair draping over a soft white dress, the grayscale clashing with her deep blue eyes.

"Oh Minghao I'm so sorry," She said, looking on at her dishevelled son, not daring to inch closer than the doorframe.

Minghao suddenly felt a twitch of anger, how could she apologise when she had done nothing to help him? It was hard to feel any negative emotion to such an ethereal and angelic woman but he couldn't understand why she was never there, he was sure no one even knew of his mother's existence she faded into the background so easily. He stared back at her flatly with a million things to say and yet nothing at all.

"I don't know what this is about but can you talk in your room please Hao, your death stare is putting off my customers." He heard Jinjin say from over the counter, deciding to grab his paints and go up to his room without looking back at the woman again.

She hesitated for a second before quickly shuffling after him. As she reached the top of the stairs she heard the shutting of a door with a swift lock. Minghao knew he couldn't see her face to face.

"Minghao please..." She said, resting her hand on the door. "Please, he might find out if I stay too long, I just want to see my boy," Minghao could hear her lips quivering and a wave of guilt washed over him, she had it far worse and he knew that.

A soft click allowed her entrance and she once again frowned at the small space, "Your art work looks wonderful honey," She cooed, tracing her fingers over some thick acrylic on a canvas in the corner of the room. He silently stood up and hugged her, the pair hadn't seen each other in months.

Minghao's father was a calculated man, manipulative and ice cold. The two were always kept apart, he said he didn't want Minghao to taint her, keeping his mother like a rose under glass while Minghao was the ugly secret that had to be hidden for other reasons.

"How did you find me?" Minghao questioned, it was clear she wasn't there in order to buy something from the bakery. "The Chwe boy told me, he seemed quite sad at the mention of you." She replied, stroking his hair softly as she realised how much he'd grown.

Minghao nodded in her grasp, it felt so warm. He wondered how she had ended up with such a terrible man but he honestly didn't know, in fact he knew nothing of his parents before he was born. Only that he was brought into the world and instantly hated, he often wondered why his father even agreed to conceive him if all he was going to do is hate Minghao with such passion.

"I've missed you but I'm glad to know your safe, I'm so so sorry Minghao but I really can't be here-" She was cut off by a loud shout downstairs which made the pair freeze.

"XU HAYOON WHERE ARE YOU?"

Their eyes widened and Minghao's mother placed a soft kiss on her son's cheek as she quickly left with sorry eyes.

"Why are you coming from back there?" He said accusingly, not caring for the rather startled customers. Thankfully Moonbin caught on quickly, "I was showing her our stock, we'd run out of the specific bread she wanted, sir," He said in his most innocent voice he could muster.

With a scowl he grabbed her arm and lead her out the shop, she mouthed a quick 'thank you' to Moonbin who was shocked the poor excuse even worked as she was dragged back into submission.

Minghao meanwhile was still motionless, seeing her again, hearing him again was like a stab in his chest.

Despite trying to force himself to never have contact with the four Healina boys ever again he couldn't help himself, bottled up memories were left uncollected in his head.

fuck u: Vernon, can you and Boo please come meet me when you're done with classes at the bakery? I'm not doing well

vern: Of course, Hao