93

Healina

The mornings in Joshua and Seokmin's now shared household were strangely domestic. They liked to call it 'roommates' but between the shy blushing and offhanded flirting, it was clearly blooming into more despite their separate beds.

"Wait, really? Seungkwan that's great, I can't believe you took so long to tell me!" Joshua quirked an eyebrow, lifting his head up from his morning coffee at the sound of Seokmin being that enthusiastic so early in the morning and right before they were going to get their exam results. Seokmin noticed his gaze and smiled lightly, mouthing a quick 'I'll tell you later' as he continued to chat.

It was weird really, everything felt like it was changing. A new year never really marked all that much before but Joshua was realising how things were so drastically different. This time the previous year he had no clue his well structured life plan would end up like this. He'd repressed a lot of bad, he didn't like to think about how much of an asshole he was to Minghao - maybe if he felt truly trusted by all of them he wouldn't have done what he did, Vernon and Seungkwan wouldn't have issues and everything would be more normal. He thought about Sanha and how there was no sign of him even now, still going to Mrs Yoon's now once a fortnight to make sure she was doing at least slightly okay.

And then there was Jeonghan, him leaving should've been the least severe but he couldn't help his mind drifting to his old best friend. He wondered where he was, what he was doing, what explanation he'd give. It was childish to think one day he could ask but it was a weird concept to grasp that someone he had spent the first twenty one years of his life with was just gone.

"You're doing that thing again." Seokmin snapped him out of his thoughts, "What?"

"That distant stare you do when you think about stuff, I know there has been a lot of issues but it's alright, your exams went well, none of our friends have a ceremony this year and you've moved in with your favourite person in the world," He grinned, slinking behind the older and massaging his shoulders. "You don't have to always worry about me," Joshua huffed, squirming slightly in his grasp. "Yes but I want to." Seokmin said, stealing a kiss from his cheek before slinking away to get ready.

The day they all got their results from their exams was nerve wracking to say the least, for Joshua it was his final qualification until going out into the world of work. For Seokmin, it was also his final year, he had a reserved full time spot at the care home but he still wanted to do well. Seungkwan was definitely the most nervous of them all, holding his sides tightly as they waited

"Can they not amp it up so much? Pledis told me if I don't get a good enough grade they'll revoke the offer," Seungkwan whined, jumping up and down on the spot as they stood in a crowded foyer.

"It's going to be okay, I'm sure." Seokmin smiled softly.

For once, it actually was. Seungkwan got the best grades he'd ever gotten in his life and was, for the first time in a while, genuinely happy. Studying under Pledis was shroud in mystery but he'd be a fool not to take it, Pledis workers were the richest of the rich and he'd love to live comfortably without leeching off of Vernon all the time, well, he figured he wasn't now but this would ensure his future would be okay whatever happened. He couldn't help his face fall slightly at the thought of Vernon though, always tucked safely in the back of his mind.

That was until he felt a hand slap his back, snapping Seungkwan back to reality. "I heard about Pledis!" Bohee exclaimed, throwing her arm over his shoulder, he nodded modestly, making sure to also congratulate her on her grades. "What I want to know is how the hell Lee Seokmin managed to get full marks on practical?" She said, ushering Seungkwan over to where Seokmin and Joshua were standing.

Their conversation was warm but the growing hole that Vernon left was undeniable, especially now he wasn't there to receive his certificates with them. "Tell you what, I am going to arrange a party to celebrate this and the ceremony and there is nothing you can do to stop me." Bohee suddenly proclaimed, all their faces were clearly laced with hidden sadness for varying reasons and, clueless to the true hell the boys had endured that year, she was determined to change that.

"Bohee it's really okay, you don't have to-"

"Nope I do, you're all going to cheer up and have fun and in return you can repay me by finding my future supermodel girlfriend."

All the boys had become very thankful for her presence, someone disconnected from all their troubles was refreshing and who knows, maybe she'd become a valuable asset way into their future as well. They were able to laugh at her antics and ended up agreeing on a date and roping Seokmin and Joshua into hosting despite it being her idea.

When Seungkwan got home, he checked his phone for the first time and was surprised to see something he hadn't seen in far too long.

Hansol

Hansol: i hope you did well today

Hansol: shua told me about Pledis, well done

He frowned at the contact name, angry at himself. Seokmin had reassured him he was doing the right thing, they were soulmates but they needed time to grow apart so they could be better together but it didn't make it any easier; it didn't stop Seungkwan scowling at his  own petty nature.

I got in, thank you

Bohee is holding an end of year party, you should come

I hope you're doing better

It was simple and Seungkwan didn't want a reply but he just needed to see him, they ended on so much hatred where they should've just spoken before issues arose. Fixing it was going to be hard but maybe with the new year they could work on that.

At least that's what he hoped, with the understudy he was taking up he really didn't know how much time he'd have and, well, if he was transferred to Pledis Central-

He didn't want to think about that, the implications.

For now, he tried to smile. Everything was actually looking up all things considered, they all needed a fresh start.

Vernon

Vernon: i'll be there

-
I have one more week until Summer holidays so my assignments are killing me at the minute but I should have more free time to update soon, just bare with me for a tiny bit longer and I can get back to updating more frequently <3