22

Odera

"Class is in session," Wonwoo began, tapping his pointer stick onto the table in the living area where he had made Jeonghan sit.

He really did look like a teacher and it was clear to see he was enjoying it, "Your day today will be split into two parts, your first hours with me in the house are history and culture lessons and then Mingyu will do whatever shit he decided on. I can't stand to be around him too long,"

From beside Jeonghan a pouty Mingyu spoke up, "Hyung that's so mean!"

"What are you even doing here, do you seriously have nothing better to do than stare at me teach?"

Mingyu grinned cheekily, resting his chin on his knuckles and leaving forward, "Nope."

Wonwoo let out a sigh, "We will begin,"

"As you know we are in a kingdom, that means we have kings - Healina's Seo Hyungseok and Odera's Seo Yuan. Both share the same family name to show the unity of the two split kingdoms or whatever for better or for worse, you know how it goes two brothers, total opposites, disagreement, war, flawed system that people keep around because it makes them feel safe. You get it." Both boys sat at the table were nodding along in acknowledgement as Wonwoo used chalk to draw various diagrams.

"Now Jeonghan what I'm sure you don't know much about is Seo Yuan, how he runs this place and the general vibe of Odera since you've been either sat in here or pranced out to Jihoon and Soonyoung's little play pens. Take some notes Jeonghan, you'll need them."

Mingyu raised his hand, "Mingyu I'm not actually a fucking teacher, what is it?"

"What about me?"

"I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE."

Mingyu abruptly shut up.

"Anyway, here where we live we're quite lucky, most have made names for ourselves like with Jihoon's music or Soonyoung's dancing. People generally leave us alone and we have enough to sustain ourselves here, out on the streets be careful because there are a lot of bad things. Drugs, gangs, crime with little repercussion because our legal system isn't that great. We have a military of course, in fact Chan has expressed some desire to go into it when he's older which I don't exactly approve of. They're intimidating and have the jurisdiction to kill on sight if they see fit, their guns are big but don't be too worried, without them we'd be more screwed."

Jeonghan gulped slightly, having his education on Odera very censored in Healina he wasn't sure what to make of all this, his small bubble didn't reflect the places true colours. "So what about Yuan himself? I was taught he's pretty ruthless and by the sounds of those soldiers he doesn't sound great."

To Jeonghan's surprise, Wonwoo waved his hands, dismissing this notion, "Oh no, he's just solemn. Stays in his castle lamenting about his lost love, it's said he fell in love with a commoner at 18 but it was not to be, her eyes changed in the ceremony and now he's not over it 20 or so years later. Sad really, I don't know why anyone would fall in love at this age when there's that chance, I don't mean to offend the king but only a fool would chose to love before they got their eyes."

"It's not a conscious choice, hyung," Mingyu said with sad eyes, "It can be." Was the blunt reply he was met with.

Jeonghan coughed at the sudden awkward atmosphere which dissipated soon after. The lesson quickly continued and after a while Wonwoo had finished and the older's hand was throbbing with the amount he had been made to write; all the while Mingyu had been playing with various stationary.

"And with that we're done." Mingyu instantly jumped up, pulling Jeonghan's hand towards him, "Ohhh my turn, my turn!" He was basically shouting.

"I'm going to tell you about fashion, I know Seungcheol hyung took you to buy some stuff but I know better, we can listen to cool music and I'll teach you some ways of pissing off the other guys and if you're really lucky I might even show you Wonwoo's weird se-"

The excitable Mingyu was cut off when a sweaty Seungcheol made his appearance apparent with a loud crash and stumble, out of breath he panted; Jeonghan had never seen such concern and panic in the older's eyes,

"It's Chan, he's hurt."

Without a moments hesitation the four ran out of the rundown apartment block into the street below.