88

Healina

Vernon awoke with a hazy memory, the smell of breakfast wafting throughout the house. His eyebrows furrowed, he hadn't smelt that since he was little and his mother would cook for him since Seungkwan wouldn't be seen dead in a kitchen making food.

His head felt a little fuzzy but it began to connect the dots as he tried to shift himself out of bed. He remembered Seokmin coming over and realised he was fucked, this was meant to just be a one time thing to calm him down but now he'd be faced with so many questions.

"Morning Nonnie," He heard Seokmin call softly as he came down the stairs. "You certainly look... different," He commented, observing the younger's oversized rainbow tie dye jumper with tracksuit bottoms. Vernon laughed dryly, "Morning to you too and uh, thank you."

Seokmin just looked at him sadly, "Come here you idiot," He said, opening up his arms for a hug which Vernon quickly accepted. Seokmin ruffled his hair fondly, "We can talk about it later but for now I just want to get some food in you," Seokmin said, his response being an incoherent mumble into his side. "What?"

"I said your eggs are burning." Vernon explained, pulling away from the hug so Seokmin could stress over the food.

As Vernon went to sit at the kitchen island he heard the front door open and his heart dropped, not expecting the loud cheerful greeting that came. "Bohee is here to fix all your issues!" The colourful girl exclaimed before she'd even fully gotten through the front door.

Vernon looked at Seokmin with questioning eyes, "I needed a second opinion," Seokmin shrugged, not looking away from his food. "Hello?" Another voice recognised as Joshua's came from the doorway. "Okay so maybe I also needed a third opinion."

Bohee and Joshua found their way to the kitchen, Joshua instantly going to Vernon as Bohee inspected the rather impressive house. Vernon thought it was bad enough Seokmin saw him in such a bad state, now he had all three of them there he just wanted to go back to bed and not face it.

Before he could protest, Seokmin was already piling food onto the table. "I've made breakfast for everyone," He chimed, Vernon expected them all to be scolding him and freaking out but they were strangely passive. The air became slightly more awkward as they began to eat, the looming conversation about Vernon's actions and mental state wasn't going to be easy for anyone but still they tried to enjoy their food, making the occasional small talk.

About half way through eating the door could be heard opening again, Vernon looked concerned, "Who else did you invite?" He asked, becoming more worried when Seokmin replied, "No one."

"Hansol, darling?" The group heard, Vernon's eyes widened, voice quietening to a whisper, "It's my parents, I had no clue they'd actually come home today, everyone just pretend to be rich or something," He got out, panicked.

"Oh there you are sweetie and it appears you have guests?" His mother spoke, looking at the state of her kitchen, uncleaned pans everywhere, an amount of food on the table to feed an army, two boys that looked fairly presentable, a girl that looked straight out of a sweet advert that has E numbers banned in most countries and worst of all, her son looking like a complete moron with, in her opinion, abhorrent clothes.

"They must be quite the friends to be able to be so comfortable around you in this state," She said, Bohee almost wanted to laugh at what she thought was a playful roast but the stern look on the woman's face suggested otherwise. "Finally a girlfriend Hansol?" His father then asked, looking disapprovingly at Bohee, only making the assumption based off the fact they were both wearing obnoxiously bright clothing.

"No, father, mother, I was just having some friends around for breakfast. I wasn't expecting you to be home," The three around the table were shocked at how Vernon's tone instantly changed, none of them had even caught a glimpse at Vernon's parents before so the scene playing out before them felt very odd.

"Very well, see to it you make more of an effort next time please, it's a pleasure to meet you all." Vernon's mother said despite how repulsed she was as indicated by the grimace on her face. "Of course mother." Vernon said, going as far as to bow at her, the other three unsure if they should do the same thing.

"Your mother and I are only here to extend our appreciation for your dedication to the academics, your strides towards better edification are most palpable and we'd like to commend you for that. Your mother and I will be returning to the headquarters by noon." His father then said, "Yeah, thank you father,"

"I say boy, although your academic achievements are impressive your parlance needs some work, you haven't been occupying yourself with commoners have you?" The man asked, eyeing the table. "No father, I am indubitably positive my peers have nothing to do with it."

Joshua almost fainted at the knowledge Vernon could even pronounce 'indubitably' the whole scene leaving the other three stunned. "We best be off then, wouldn't want to ruin your gathering." With that the couple left as quickly as they had arrived.

Any questions about Vernon had been completely thrown out the window, Bohee was the first to speak, "I think I understood about three words of what your dad said."

Vernon huffed in response, wishing to melt into his chair. "Are you a chaebol heir or something, what was that?!" Joshua asked as his brain began to come to terms with the fact that did just happen. "No! They work for the government I think, they both write and edit public speeches and similar things so they have an interesting vernacular- vocabulary sorry I'm still in parent mode god I hate sounding like that." Vernon explained, having grown up with them doing it every two seconds he found it very pretentious when someone would slip fancy words into conversation, really he found it quite condescending.

"Why are they excited about your academics anyway, you're not even attending class?" Seokmin then asked making Vernon rub the back of his neck guiltily.

"I kind of dropped out to pursue a music course next year but they sort of think I'm doing an extended year for research and conservation of wildlife?"

The other three facepalmed in unison, this was going to be a long talk.

-
The Vernon's dad glossary:
Edification - gaining a deeper knowledge of something
Parlance - the way in which someone speaks
Indubitable - unquestionable
(also just in case)
Chaebol heir - an heir to a powerful family run company in korea, they're famously known for causing trouble and generally being pretty awful human beings