82

Healina

Joshua began to regret finding comfort in the younger couple when a few days later he had to deal with Seungkwan crying on his bedroom floor. "Hey Kwan, will you talk to me?" Joshua didn't know why he was the one Seungkwan went to but he hadn't said a word since he entered his house, sobbing silently.

"Vernon's been lying to me," He said eventually, "Vernon's been lying to me this whole time and it's so unfair, I always thought I was the selfish one and I was so so sorry for it but he's the one who's selfish Josh." Seungkwan said in a tantrum like state. Joshua wasn't the biggest empath but he was good at solving a problem. "Can you tell me what happened?" He asked, trying his best to put on a soothing voice as he anticipated various scenarios he couldn't imagine Vernon in.

"He's been faking his results, all of them, he hasn't gotten above a D all year," Seungkwan said in disbelief. "Oh well that's not too bad he-"

"No Joshua, I already know what you're going to say and I don't care about how smart he is, he could be the biggest idiot in the world but it's the fact he's been lying to me, changing scores just so I could 'not worry about it' but we could've helped him or he could've changed course or-" Seungkwan threw his face into his palms, frustrated. "I just thought we were meant to tell each other everything..."

Joshua pouted and came to sit next to him, rubbing comforting circles in his back like Seokmin did with him when he was sad. "He was doing what he thought was best at the time, he's a bit of an idiot but he loves you more than anyone Kwan,"

"If he loves me why does he seem so set on leaving?"

"Leaving... you don't mean-"

"Yes Odera, I can tell he secretly hates it here, it feels like he only wants to stay because of me and I don't know if I can handle that guilt. It's like this constant unspoken subtext between the 'I love you's and the kisses hell, I'm not even sure if we actually love each other it's just been the same thing for years. We haven't even done anything more and it's not like we're kids still. I try so hard to be happy and work for my place here but he just doesn't care and I-I'm so sick of it," Seungkwan broke down by the end of it, all his unspoken fears and anger that had been festering unleashed over one small thing.

"Shhh, it's okay," Joshua tried to say calmly, "Did you speak to him about it?"

"No I couldn't, I just left I-"

"Shh it's okay, just breathe," Joshua repeated, unlocking his phone in his pocket when he felt a small vibration. It was two messages from both Seokmin and Vernon asking if he knew where Seungkwan was. He contemplated not answering it but he hated seeing the boys worry (despite putting them through it himself only a week ago) so he texted back to say he was with him.

"Everything alright up here?" Joshua's mum said from behind his door, she rarely interfered when her son's friends came if she was even there but he wasn't surprised with her concern when Seungkwan was basically screaming. "Yeah ma, Kwannie has a part to practice for his course final and he just wanted to show it to me," He hated lying but tried to put on his best 'everything is totally normal and there isn't a boy having a breakdown here' voice that he had mastered except usually it was him who was the boy having a breakdown. "Oh okay well it sounds great Seungkwan sweetie," She chimed. Seungkwan managed to choke out a weak 'Thanks." Laughing through his tears slightly at the ridiculousness of it all.

"Oh is there more to watch the performance?" They then heard her say as the front door opened. A very distressed Vernon and Seokmin tried their best to smile back at Joshua's mother before bolting upstairs.

"Kwannie please what did I do?" Vernon asked desperately. Seokmin shared a glance with Joshua and they retreated backwards onto his bed. "I found your real report, the one you threw away. Put paper in the recycling bin next time idiot," Seungkwan said, trying to act cold despite the red puffy face and snot streaming out his nose.

Vernon opened his mouth and closed it again, he had no valid explanation. "I'm so sorry, please don't cry bub, I'll work harder it's just-"

"But you won't will you?" Seungkwan snapped back, "Hard work isn't your style, it never has been and don't 'bub' me, it's like you don't even realise you don't care about me anymore." Joshua saw Seokmin standing up off the bed but had to push him back lightly, he knew it was painful to not intervene but it was a conversation that wasn't meant for them.

"Don't care? Kwannie- I mean Seungkwan I love you so much it's a problem, I live to make you happy and me failing was only going to stress you out more, I'll work a plan," Vernon tried to ignore the harsh words and keep his composure, he hated seeing Seungkwan like this.

"Even if you did have a plan you won't tell me about it, you tell me nothing anymore; you bottle things up and pretend they aren't even there like, hey, remember Minghao your old best friend? Well he's dead and you haven't said a word about it in fucking months-" He felt a harsh slap across his face, not one of anger but one of intent. "You can insult me all you want but don't you dare bring him into this, you know how much he meant to me and you have no rights to control how I deal with my feelings." Vernon's tone was firm and his gaze unwavering, it wasn't like him at all but he knew Seungkwan was spiralling. 

The two older boys just watched in shock, their friends crumbled before them. "Vernon," Seungkwan spoke, face deadly serious.

"I think we need some time apart."

Just like that, nine years together unravelled. "Seungkwan no, think rationally here, I'm sorry, I can't live without you, I'm so so sorry," He pleaded, trying to reach for his hand as Seungkwan stood up hastily.

"Just a break, Hansol," That was a name he hadn't heard in a while but it felt like a stab to the heart, Seungkwan knew he hated that name.

The three sat paralysed as they heard the door shut downstairs. "Vernon I'm-"

"Save it, you have your own problems."