Modern AOTxReader (Halloween Special)

This is a modern AU, which means this takes place in the present reality (our present-time). I have read a lot of comments getting confused about this chapter, so just for clarification, this is MODERN!

Also, did major changes to the plot of this chapter. 

Warning: sensitive topics

*When you go trick or treating for the first time.*

"Wait! You mean to tell me you never went trick or treating before!?" Eren asked, slightly shocked. 

You shook your head.  

"Why not!? It's the best thing ever!"

Your eyes downcasted, Eren noticed. His eyes widened. 

"Wait...! Oh no..." Eren gasped as he suddenly remembered. 

Yep...that was your reason for hating Halloween. 

Not only was it Halloween, but it was the anniversary of your grandparents' death. 

One halloween night, your grandparents were driving you back home from a Halloween party from Eren's house. 

Everything happened so fast...

A random car crashed into yours, the drivers being drunkies from a teenage halloween party. Both your grandparents were killed, while you were able to make it out alive. 

But not without a serious head and eye injury, causing you lose your way of speaking and a scar on your left eye. Which is primarily why you're "mute" or how you better describe yourself...non-talkative. 

Eren and his family adopted you soon after they heard about the accident, not wanting me to get shipped off to some orphanage. And since Eren's father is already a doctor, he gives you free checkups and makes sure to keep an extra eye on your health. 

You hated Halloween since then. You tried your best to ignore it. 

"I'm so sorry. I forget they passed away this day..."

You sniffed. 

"..." Eren stayed quiet for a moment standing up. 

"I'll be right back!"

"?"

Eren hasn't visited for hours until the evening was slowly arriving. You could see the people outside preparing for the long night. Meanwhile, you were feeling nostalgic over sweet memories. 

*BANG*

"!!!"

"Hey! Guess what! Hange bought you something!" He said while handing you a bag. 

You raised an eyebrow before opening the bag to reveal a halloween costume, but not just any costume. 

It's an anime cosplay costume. Hange says you act a lot like the character in this anime. You think her name was Nezuko from Demon Slayer?

"Look, I know you don't want to go trick or treating at a time like this. But I'm sure your grandparents would still want you to enjoy it. Even when they're not here..."

"Mmm...mm-hmm" You opened your mouth as you let out an incoherent sound. 

You inhaled deeply before nodding your head. Hange must have spent a lot of this. 

"Cool! Go try it on! I'll try out in mine!" Eren rushed out of my room and left me alone. 

You looked at the costume and mentally sighed. 

Looks like there's no walking out of this. 

*Time Skip*

Ugh, do you really have to wear this. This bamboo muzzle is uncomfortable. But at least you got the makeup and contacts right.