Chapter 25 (Rewritten)

"Are you excited to meet the new recruits, Y/n? I bet your friends will be there too." Petra said as she helped you put on your straps. 

"Mm-hmm." You nodded. 

You haven't heard from Armin or Mikasa ever since the Eren titan incident, the court. Geez, so many things happened. 

"There! You're all set!" Petra smiled. 

You nodded in thanks and went to put on your boots. You can never get the straps on right, so someone usually has to fix it for you or at least point it out. 

"Y/n, don't get the wrong idea. But I always wanted to ask about your past. You see...I already told you mine, so I thought..."

You raised an eyebrow. Why this now...?

"It's just...I haven't gotten the chance to really know much about you. And given we're going on an expedition. Anything can happen...you don't have to if you don't want to..." She explained. 

You thought about it for a moment. As much as you hate remembering that day, Petra was right. Anything could happen on this expedition. Might as well spill the beans. 

Petra has already told you about her past. She grew up here with her parents and decided to join the scouts. She told you a lot about Commander Shadis(Glad you weren't the only one who thought he was insane.) and how her and Oluo were childhood friends. 

She writes letters to her father a lot so they can keep in touch. Other than that, you haven't mentioned anything about yours. 

After a while of thinking, you pointed over to your journal. Petra got the message. 

"Oh! Of course!" she quickly grabbed your journal and handed it to you. 

You let out a shaky sigh and began to write. 

'I'm sorry if I haven't mentioned about my past.'

"Oh, Y/n...it's fine. If you don't feel comfortable writing about it, it's not by force."

You continued to write. 

'I don't really remember much when I was born. I don't even remember my parents. The only sort of parents I had were a kind elderly couple raising me. My grandparents, I like to call them. According to them, they found me outside with an eye injury.'

"Oh Y/n..." Petra said. 

"..." It hurt to lie to her for the most part. 

'When I finally recovered, they asked me my name, but I couldn't even talk. Nothing came out. No matter how hard I tried, nothing came out. They called a doctor and he confirmed that my vocal cords were severely damaged and there's a small chance I would be able to talk again.'

You stare blankly at the page before writing again. 

'It didn't bother me much though. The tried asking me about my parents, but I explained to them I don't even remember my parents. And from that day on, they took care of me. Well, until I met Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. They were like older siblings to me.'

"Older siblings? How old are you, Y/n?"

I held up my fingers to show her the numbers one and four. 

"14!?" she said in disbelief. 

'My birthday comes late! I'm gonna be 15 in a few weeks!' You argued. 

"Well...then happy early birthday!"

You rolled your eyes in amusement before continuing. 

'For the longest time, that has been my life. Until...the fall of Wall Maria came. I was with Eren, Mikasa, and Armin at the time. Then the next thing I knew, there was a bright flash and an ugly titan face appeared upon the walls, a huge crash was heard and the walls broke. Everything was chaotic. There were titans everywhere. People were screaming and running away. I ran to my grandparents house, but a titan was already there. My grandpa picked me up and ran me to the docks, my grandmother didn't make it. A titan grabbed her already. By the time we got to the docks, the boats were full and my grandpa was forced to give me away. I never saw him again.'