The Mere Beginning

I have been training with this peculiar man who doesn't even bother to tell me a speck about himself for a while now. Though I don't dare to voice this out, I can't help but feel worried about the future, even with the knowledge that each day I was getting stronger and stronger alongside my friends.

M-Maybe I was just paranoid or simply being a worrywart, since my life has changed drastically in such a short amount of time...

B-But I can't help this sinking feeling in my gut, like something terrible was going to happen...

Particularly to the one that I shouldn't be worried about, the damn protagonist of this whole story;

Luffy.

'You shouldn't be worried about him out of all people! Stop panicking over nonsense!', I tried to convince myself, but no matter how hard I tried to, I couldn't help this gut-wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach. Instincts exist for a reason, r-right, and something is telling me that something really terrible is going to happen to him, though I don't want to believe it'll be true...

No visions of the sort have been coming to me, either, and I have been far too horrified at the thought of looking into the future to see if my gut was right or not.

'W-We are going to defeat Mary, we are going to save the world! W-We have to; it's our destiny! It's written in stone! I-It can't change!' I tried to convince myself, holding in the urge to cry.

N-Not only did I have to deal with this feeling, but I also had a personal dilemma I had to tackle sooner or later, a moral problem I had to put to rest.

I had to kill Mary.

Y-Yes, I know, it's necessary to do, especially if we are to save Maree and Marie, but I c-can't help but feel conflicted. I never had to kill anybody in this world, until the battle with Mary...

"There is no more that I can do for you, you all are ready to head out towards your next quest," Our fellow trainer bowed, as I bit my lip.

'I don't feel ready... can you take my place in eliminating Mary, instead?...'

"H-Hey Hawkins, what is our chance of all escaping Mary alive?..." Usopp asked the magician waryily, who instead glanced back at me.

"If the princess doesn't wish to know, then I won't indulge, either."

"W-Why don't you want to know?! This is very important stuff! We are dealing with a crazy woman who is hellbent on killing us all for sport!" The sniper cried to me, as I sweated nervously.

"I-I'm sorry, but I am too afraid... I know for sure we'll win this, but my paranoia is getting the best of me right now, and I rather not make myself anymore anxious than I already am... Mary is going to target me first and foremost, so I rather keep the fight a surprise for myself..." I sighed. I-I know, this kind of thought process was stupid, but I knew me; if I knew what the future held, we might accidentally make a dreary future happen by actively trying to avoid it.

As the wise Oogway says, "One often meets their destiny on the road they take to avoid it." 

And I have a feeling that Hawkins knew this, too.

"How about-" Usopp turned to Katakuri, who gave him a look that quickly ended his line of questioning.

"N-Nevermind..."

"It's going to be alright, Usopp! It's all of us against Mary, shishishi!" Luffy stated confidently.

"T-That's exactly what I am worried about! What if her strange fascination with redheads is just a farce to trick us into thinking that's her weakness?!" He questioned, as I shook my head. Luffy was right; we had nothing to worry about! We were just all a bit antsy for the big showdown, is all...