Unfamiliar Familiarity

I groaned in annoyance, looking down at the homework question with distaste:

#47) If you were to encounter a frightened child during a mass attack, how would you console them?

I don't know how the hell I would console anybody. Wouldn't I be too concerned with fighting in a moment like that?

Although, I did save that little boy, back in Hosu.

But then again...it was kind of my fault I even had to save him in the first place. Endeavor was chasing me, and I guess I indirectly put everyone else in danger.

UA was buckling down my homework and training loads lately, in order to prepare for the provisional license exam.

Not that it matters to me. I'm still not allowed to take the license exam. I understand, since technically I'm not a real student here.

But....I'm still a little disappointed.

Anyways, it had been about a month since everyone began working on their ultimate moves, and we were all up to our eyeballs in work.

Eijirou and I have been trying to spend as much time as we can with each other, studying and hanging out in each other's rooms.

I know he's getting stressed about the license exam that's coming up, but I believe in him. I know he can pass.

Now me on the other hand....I'm not so sure I would pass the license exam, since I can't even complete the homework I'm currently working on.

I shuffled around on my bed, starting to write down an answer for this question—

—RING!! RING!!

I jumped in shock, upon hearing the burner phone on my desk start ringing loudly.

The burner phone was from Shigaraki. He only gave it to me to make sure I could still check in daily with him, since I live at the dorms now.

He said it was a "present" for me. A truce for destroying my old iphone. How thoughtful.

I forced myself to get off my bed, and grab the shitty phone.

"Hello?" I mumbled, already expecting to hear Shigaraki's pissy voice.

Instead, I heard....nothing.

I patiently waited for Shigaraki to start talking, but he never did.

I raised my brows in slight irritation, starting to lose my patience with him.

If this was another one of his stupid games, I'd be annoyed.

"Hello? Hello?" I called out a little louder, hearing soft breathing coming from the other side of the line now.

It was quiet for a moment longer.

I was about to hang up the phone, when the voice on the other line finally spoke.

"So it is you." The voice from the other line said clearly.

My face contorted into confusion, not recognizing the voice.

This definitely wasn't Shigaraki.

But, he was the only person who had this number.

...or he was supposed to be the only one.

I was slightly taken aback by this change of events, not quite knowing where to go from here.

"...and who do you think this is?" I uttered cautiously, feeling my heartbeat pick up slightly.