Barriers

"What an amazing night!" I called out, as Eijirou and I walked down the UA campus, slowly making our way back to the dorms.

"Yeah, that was a lot of fun! Plus, I guess you're basically a pro dancer now, huh?" He grinned, grabbing my hand and giving me a twirl.

"Pretty much. Why? Want to take a lesson?" I teased, knowing full well that Eijirou was the one who taught me to dance in the first place.

A breeze of cold, fall air rang throughout the night, causing me to involuntarily shiver.

"If the instructor is you, then hell yeah I do." He replied, quickly shrugging off his jacket and draping it around my shoulders.

Damn, how did he even notice me shiver?! This guy sees everything.

"Thanks." I smiled softly, snuggling further into Eijirou's jacket.

I reveled in its warmth and smell, loving the way it fit around me.

Eijirou smiled warmly at me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, as we walked down the empty campus street.

It was around midnight now—well, almost. Midnight was the curfew Aizawa gave us.

"Man, I don't want this night to end." Eijirou whispered, looking up at the starry night sky.

I nodded in remembrance, hearing the dread in Eijirou's voice.

I'm sure Eijirou didn't want this night to end for a lot of reasons. One of them being the provisional license exam tomorrow.

"That's right. The exam is tomorrow. You shouldn't worry. You'll do great." I encouraged, kicking a pebble down the sidewalk.

I felt Eijirou shrug in response, as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Hopefully. The thing is, the stakes are a little higher now. Aizawa told me tonight at the dance, that if I pass the license exam, I might be able to get a work study with a hero agency." He said blankly.

 Hmm, that's a major accomplishment

Hmm, that's a major accomplishment. Yet, he didn't sound that excited about it.

"Eijirou, that's amazing. The fact that you'd qualify for a work study your first year like that. You should be proud of yourself." I reassured, wanting him to be more excited about this amazing opportunity.

He pursed his lips, lost in thought. He still wasn't sharing my excitement for him.

"I don't know. I mean, my quirk isn't anything spectacular, Margo. I know that. I'm sure Mr. Aizawa just put in a good word for me, and that's why I have a shot." He mumbled, looking down at the ground now.

My face contorted into disbelief at his words, wondering how he could even say something like that.

"Are you kidding me?! Your quirk is so powerful—" I started saying, before Eijirou cut me off.