Preparation

"Ow! That one really hurt." I groaned, feeling the familiar warm trail of blood run down my wrist.

Scientist A shrugged, quickly applying a warm, wet rag to soothe my open wound.

"Sorry—uh, not sorry. Yeah, sorry not sorry...is what I meant. Anyways, get over it, little one. You've been through worse than this." He mumbled, wiping the sweat from his forehead as he continued carving up my body.

My twelve year old self sighed, biting my lip to hold in my screams of pain.

"Why?" I mumbled begrudgingly, turning my head towards the plain white wall.

"Be more specific, Margo. You know I don't like vague questions, because I—"

"—because you don't like what doesn't immediately make sense. I know. I'm just saying...why do I have to be the one to go through all of this pain? Why is it me? You could have had anyone else in the world, yet you chose to torture me." I retorted, meeting Scientist A's piercing, green eyed gaze.

He had his hospital mask on, the only part of his face being visible were his eyes.

He was quiet for a moment, studying my face.

I could have sworn his eyes softened ever so slightly at my words, before quickly returning to their empty, blank nature.

But that was probably just my imagination.

He simply shrugged, placing the bloody scalpels and needles back on the table.

Thank goodness. That meant we were done for the day.

"I didn't choose anything. Kidnapping a little girl at the age of five and using her for some fucked up experiments? Do ya think I could ever plan anything so messed up?" He replied, gently grabbing my wrist to wrap it in medical gauze.

"Yes." I spat out.

He let out an empty chuckle, slowly wrapping my tiny, beat up wrist.

After tending to my wounds, he quickly walked over to the desk in the corner...opening it and pulling out, what looked to be medical records.

I furrowed my brows, watching him in confusion, as he began taking pictures of the confidential information.

"Why are you always taking pictures of the stuff in Nyushin Labs? Trying to make a scrapbook?" I retorted sarcastically, scoffing in irritation.

Scientist A quickly closed the medical record file, shoving it back in the desk drawer.

"Yeah, obviously. What, you don't like scrapbooking? Too bad...I was hoping we could have done it together. Then afterwards, we could paint each other's nails and tell cute, girly secrets." He remarked mockingly, walking back over to me now.

Hmm. Clearly, he was hiding something.

"Anyways, back to what we were talking about before. Think of it this way, since you wanna be one of those heroes so bad: if we didn't take you...and bring you to Nyushin, we would have taken someone else. So really, you should be thanking yourself, because you probably saved another little girl from the shit life you're currently living. Alright?" Scientist A said emotionlessly, carefully scooping me up off the operating table.

"How is that supposed to make me feel better?" I replied blankly, staring at the harsh ceiling lights.

Scientist A held me tightly to his chest, as we walked down the depressing hallway...back to my room.