Chapter 14: Break in Routine

Aizawa POV

The days went through in a blur. He didn't know what he was feeling, when he felt anything at all. He just seemed...detached.

At least that's what I heard Principle Nezu say...

The hero found himself watching funny cat videos in his spare time and moping more than usual. He didn't even notice that he hadn't taken Emi's bracelet off since he thought he lost it.

It was the same thing every day.

Wake up. Go to class and teach. Lunch. Nap while the students are in Gym with All Might, or watch funny cat videos. Teach another lesson. Go home. Reheat or order food. Eat on the couch and fall asleep,

Repeat.

He walked into his home once again.

God I'm tired.

Just as he tosses his stuff into the corner (again) he heard a knock at the door.

He trudges over to it and begrudgingly opens the door.

I swear if it's another salesman I might just have to take him down...

He opens the door to find Hizashi and Midnight holding a small box.

"Heya, Eraser. Just wanted to check on you..again."

Aizawa once again winced at the nickname.

"Well, I'm fine. So, goodbye-" he tried to shut the door.

"Hang on a second." Midnight says as she shoves her foot between the door and the frame to stop him from shutting them out.

"We...we don't like you being home by yourself all the time, so we got you something."

The Erasure Hero opens the door again after a moment of hesitation. He takes the box hesitantly from Hizashi's hands and notices that all the weight is towards the middle of the box.

He sets the box on the ground and squats down to meet it. As he touches the top flap to open it, he sees the box move around and shuffle.

What the...

He finally opens the box to see...

A kitten?

Sure enough, there was a lively, ginger tabby kitten sitting in the box, almost grinning up at him, mewling in delight. He looked at the kitten hopping around in circles in the box, trying to reach his hair.

"You got me...a cat?"

"...Well, yeah. She's from the animal shelter. She was apparently abused some before, but she seems to really like you. We know you like cats, and you didn't have one and you might be lonely so we thought..." Hizashi explains

"You thought wrong. I'm fine. I'll take the kitten, but don't try something like this again."

"Okay.. Thanks for taking her." Midnight thanked him sheepishly as they walked down the path.

"At least he took the cat. If he didn't, I'd be really worried." Hizashi whispered to Midnight as the walked down the steps and down the sidewalk.

Aizawa watched them walk away, then picked up the box and walked back inside. The Hero with dark circles set the box on his kitchen table and walked into the living room to sit down.

*mew!*

She'll calm down eventually...

*mew! mew!!*

The lively kitten continued to whine in loneliness until Shota finally gave in.

"Alright, fine. You win" he sighed as he picked the kitten up out of the box and carried her into the living room. He sat her next to him on the couch and leaned his head back closing his eyes.

He felt the couch shift next to him. He opened one eye to see the kitten gazing up at him.

*mew!*

The ginger calico kitten crawls into his lap and tries to claw her way up to his face/hair.

"You're awfully persistent, aren't you? You remind me of someone I know..."

The kittens eyes sparkled with joy and light.

*mew!*

"Heh." he huffs out a laugh.

"You'll need a name soon, ya know..."

*mew?*

"Yep...How about..."

"Sumairu?"

*****************************************

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Kitten! 🤩🥰
Her name in Japanese characters: スマイル) thanks for the votes!!

-Sarah