Chapter 18: Tag, You're It!

Joke POV

I have to get out of here now. If I don't, I'll go crazy... I can't take that torture anymore.

Even if you make it out of here, there will be permanent damage.

I don't care! I have to make things right, and save myself...

At this point, Ms.Joke had gotten so used to voices in her head from the mind invasion torture that she didn't question it when a new voice started speaking.

The door begins to creak open.

This is it...Whoever comes through that door will be the determining factor in whether I will escape or not...

The door opens to reveal...

"Toga!" Emi says with a hint of genuine excitement.

"Morning bestie!!" Toga chirps, as she skips over to Emi to unlock her chains.

Emi ran through the plan countless times. It was her way of focusing on something other than the pain in her chest.

"So, what's the plan today, Toga?" She asks in an attempt to get Toga's guard down.

"Oh! Shigaraki says you should probably be finished soon!" Toga says excitedly.

What does she mean "finished"? ... It doesn't matter; I'm getting out of here!

"Unrelated question," Emi says as her plan begins to go into motion, "Who's your crush for today?"

"Oh goodie!! Boy talk!" Toga jumps with joy. "That's why I like you, Emi. You smell just like me! You like someone too, so you know what it's like!!"

Toga begins to talk about her crush of the day, as Emi lags behind little by little until she's almost behind the love-struck blonde. As they get the the entrance that leads to the bar, she slips off into that corridor. She waits a moment before moving to make sure she's safe.

Phew. Think I lost her...

For now..

Shut up. It'll be fine...

The broken Hero hobbles down into the bar.

Wow. There's enough liquor here to get even Eraser drunk. The giggles to herself, despite the danger.

Why are you still thinking about that good for nothing heart-breaker? You know he doesn't care, so just-

"SHUT UP!!" She yelled.

"What was that? Wait- WHERE'S JOKE??" Emi hears Shigaraki's voice from down the hall.

I don't think that one was an imaginary voice..

Excuse me: I'll have you know, I'm very real.

Shut up. We can talk about it in therapy once we're out of here.

She sprinted around to the door she thought might be an exit.

Didn't have time to make sure, so this better be it.

She checks the door, and it's locked.

Fantastic.

She rapidly looks around for something to break the door in, when-

"Not fast enough, Joke."

"Dabi! My old pal!" Emi says as she whirls around, trying to hide her nervousness.