32

Sabrina's pov

The pain of labour was like a prison for my mind. In this jail cell of fear and confusion, time passed without me being able to keep track of it.

My stomach tightened, and I heard a scream of my own, without being aware of making it. The pain kept elevating with every second and the only words I could utter were, "drive faster"

I tightly clutched my stomach, praying in my mind that my baby girl, my precious child was okay.

My due date was not for a month. And I had read enough about premature births to know all the risks associated with it. And this is why my heart clenched with fear with every passing second.

I could hear Adam's erratic breath at my side, as he kept driving swiftly, trying to reach the hospital as fast as possible. I knew he was scared too as he kept muttering soothing words to me. He kept saying me how everything will be fine and me and the baby will both be okay. But given his previous behaviour with me today, none of his words calmed me.

Again, a contraction hit me which dominated my entire soul. I felt the world shifting before my eye as my vision completely blackened and I stopped realising what was going around me. The only feeling I had left was that of pain.

Suddenly, I felt myself being lifted up and being laid into something flat, which right now I could guess was a stretcher. I felt someone clutching my hand with full force, as if they were afraid to let me go.

"Ahhhhh," I screamed out as another wave of pain passed through me as finally my vision cleared and I found myself in a bed enclosed within a room of four walls.

Some women were running here and there, shouting orders at each other. A man whose features I couldn't make out kept continuously rubbing my hand, and the only action I gave in response was to squeeze the hand harshly due to constant pain running through my body.

My pain kept intensifying, getting more brutal with every passing second. Suddenly my vision blurred again and I found my helpers melting into the background as if they weren't even there leaving me completely isolated with nothing but their voices.

Voices commanding me to 'push' harder and harder and my screams mixing with these voices.

"Push," a woman kept saying repeatedly and involuntarily I cried out , " I can't. "

"Sweetheart," a man called out," you can do it. For our baby."

And those words seemed to soothe my pain for a second. Only for a second as repeated waves of contractions kept hitting me.

"Push," the woman called out again, as I felt intense pain throughout my abdomen. This pain was more intense than any I felt within these few hours.

And because of this pain, I cried out, "AHHHHH," as my vision completely blackened and my body finally gave out. The only thing I could remember before completely blacking out was a distinct cry of a baby.

My baby.
----

Adam's pov

I watched helplessly as Sabrina was lying on the hospital bed, writhing in pain as the doctor continuously commanded her to push.

At that moment, I did not care about how everything was there between us. I just wanted to hold her and take away all her pain. And I wish I could. I just couldn't see her this way.

I didn't realise when tears made their way down my cheeks but as soon as they did, I immediately wiped it away. Sabrina was the one going through the pain. And I couldn't be weak in this situation. I had to be strong. For her.