48

Ava's pov

Yesterday, Draco announced about a certain masquerade party we were all supposed to attend to. I don't know why, I was a bit hesitant at first at the thought of attending a party. I never really liked big gatherings which is why I didn't want to attend this event as well. But it seems, his business partner insisted for all of us to attend which is why here I was getting dressed.

I had first gotten Lia dressed in a cute little blue frock. At first, I wasn't sure about Lia attending, but since Mr.Johnson confirmed that there will be a play room for kids, I couldn't leave my baby behind.

And now I was getting dressed myself. I didn't know what to wear. And given the short notice, the decision was even more difficult.

But my queries were all closed when Draco gifted me a beautiful gown yesterday. It was a velvet off shoulder black gown which had the perfect puff sleeves making it look extravagant.

And when I wore it and looked at myself in the mirror, I felt beautiful. I looked radiant and for the first time in forever, my eyes twinkled with an unforeseen happiness. My heart battered against my chest. There was something about this party which excited me after I wore this dress. I was eager to go there now. Maybe it was just because of the mystery of everyone being hidden with the masks. But was it really the mystery which drew me to it when in entirety, my whole life was one.

As I kept staring at myself, Draco suddenly appeared from nowhere and there he was looking dashing in his shiny black tuxedo.

He came behind me as he wrapped his arms around me and we both just stared at the mirror smiling at each other.

"You look gorgeous," he whispered against my ear as he gently placed a kiss to my cheek

I smiled at his statement as I responded in the same tone as his, "and you sir look adequate."

"Well my gorgeous girl. This adequate man of yours wants to give you a gift."

"A gift?"

"You have to close your eyes to get your gift. And no cheating."

I chuckled as I closed my eyes anticipating what the gift was. And it was at this moment that I felt something cold against my neck. Immediately I opened my eyes to see a beautiful locket on my neck. It was a golden heart adorned with intricate patterns.

"For my heart," he whispered

I clutched it tightly in my hand as he said that. His heart. I was his heart. Although I didnt deserve to be.

I needed to say that to him. I needed to say whatever was there in my heart. I needed to say him that I was still busy looking for my own heart.

I turned away from the mirror, just to look at him. Properly this time.

"Draco. You don't deserve this," I lightly whispered

"Sunshine. I don't know what I deserve. The only thing I do know is that I love you."

"Last night. When I pulled away from you at first, it was because....it was because I had a vision. I...I saw someone. Someone else kissing me"

His jaw tightened as I said that.

"I don't mean to hurt you. But you deserve to know the truth Draco. There was someone in the past. And God, that thought worries me. What all did I leave behind?"

"Sunshine..."

"No please listen to me. I...I wish...God. Why is love so complicated? Why can't we just choose what our hearts decide. I want everything with you Draco. But my heart isn't letting me move ahead when there is whole other life I don't know about"