Chapter 14: Kinzokuma

[A/N: Thank you all so much for 300 views! Enjoy Alex's first real fight and a rather significant character arc! But don't worry, our story is only just starting...]

Days one and two went by in a flash, it was already my third day, with Ryukyu and I spending some time meditating as per our routine. I was deep in thought, and something peculiar happened.

I was feeling a deep sense of calm when suddenly I heard a camera shutter click, and I jumped slightly, opening my eyes. For just a brief second I saw it.

My arms and legs were bigger, and green. As soon as my mind has been brought back to the forefront of reality my muscles instantly shrank and went back to the normal pale pink colour they usually were.

"Was that my imagination?" I wondered out loud.

Ryukyu, who was the one taking a picture on her phone said, "Look for yourself."

She showed me her phone screen, and there I was, almost entirely green and large, mostly in my battle form. My head was the only part that hadn't turned.

"So I can focus it on parts of my body..."

"And here we've reached our goal for the week. You've done it. You've overcome yet another obstacle." She said proudly to me.

I stood up, "But wait, I'm not done! I can't call it to mind instantly, I was sitting there for at least twenty minutes!"

"Don't worry, Alex-kun, it'll come with time and practice! It may take you a few minutes now, but after a while, you'll be able to transform effortlessly like it was nothing."

She'd done it. She'd done exactly what she set out to do the moment she saw me at the Sports Festival, she taught me the basics of meditation and transformation.

Of course, I was ecstatic! I was over the moon! I'd partially transformed without even being angry! This was an important step in my walk on the path to becoming a hero.

We went out together again to patrol the streets for a while, and talked to each other as we walked.

"Hey, I'm getting a bunch of friends to go to the beach this weekend, you down?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Sadly not, I'm busy this weekend. I have a meeting in Shikoku, and that will take up a fair amount of my time. Then I have multiple hero activities to cover as well, the weekend is actually the worst time for heroes."

I understood, "Maybe another time."

We continued down the road, when suddenly, it happened. The event that started my career as a hero. We jumped back as a car landed where we were just standing on its roof.

We looked up at where it came from, to see a rather stocky male in black and red clothing, and an oni mask with a white face and red decorative markings on it.

Several civilians screamed and started running away, while others stared on in fear. Yet others got their phones out to record the incident.

Ryukyu put her arm out in front of me and shielded me. "Stay back, this could get dangerous! Let me handle this one."

"But Ryukyu-san..."

"Stay here!" She commanded.

I complied begrudgingly and stood against the wall and watched as she ran to confront the male.

"Stand down or be put down!" She warned him, to which he simply laughed.

"Think you're strong enough to take me down too, huh? Take me on if you think you can!" He challenged her.