Chapter 26: Provisional License Exam

It was the middle of the night when I suddenly woke up and jumped, in a sweat, clutching my chest as I breathed heavily.

I calmed down as soon as I realised it was a nightmare, a little surprised I had one since I was with Tsu and had been rather content recently.

It was unusual for me to have trouble or pain breathing as well, though I regained control pretty fast. Tsu was a bit worried, though, as I'd woken her up, too.

"Alex-chan, are you alright?" She said, sleepily.

"Yeah... Yeah sorry, was just a nightmare."

She rolled over to face me and kissed the tip of my nose before asking, "Are you sure? You looked like you couldn't breathe, kero."

I smiled at her and reassured her, "I'm fine. I used to have asthma when I was younger so maybe the stress of the upcoming exam is bringing it back a little."

She seemed concerned, "Shouldn't you go to the nurse then?"

"I'll be fine, really. Look, I'll go to the chemist tomorrow and get an inhaler if it'll put your mind at ease."

She still seemed a little tense but she relaxed a bit. "Alright, you better get them as soon as you can, otherwise I'm telling Recovery Girl-san."

I chuckled a little, "Please don't. If it gets worse I'll go to her, I promise. I don't wanna miss the exam, though. I need this license!"

I was a little worried, considering the amount of villains I'd faced already, of probably ending up in trouble if I fought any more by myself.

"It's not the end of the world if you don't get it this time. There's always next time, right? You should be more sensible and miss it if you're not well enough to do it, kero."

She was right, but I didn't want to miss it. "I'm just afraid that if I don't get the license now... Someone will get into trouble because I fought a villain alone again."

"Again? Alex-Chan, what did you do?"

I cursed to myself internally as I'd pretty much just admitted I went off on my own.

"I uhm... Well... You see... You know that Kamui Woods incident this week?"

She sighed and shook her head, "You went in, didn't you... And you fought the guy that did it."

"In my defence I didn't actually fight him! He surrendered and uh... Ran away. I saved Kamui Woods, but I ignored a direct order from a police officer.

Guess I'm as bad as the villains themselves, huh?" I winked at her and stuck my tongue out.

She didn't appreciate the humour at the time.

"Alex-chan, I wake up at 3:30 in the morning to you struggling to breathe and hear about you breaking the law to potentially fight a dangerous villain. Now is not the time to joke around!"

"S-Sorry... Let's get some sleep?"

She sighed again and hugged into me. "You need to stop being so reckless. I don't want to lose you."

She buried her head into my chest, clearly worried for my safety. I thought about the things I was doing and nodded.

"You're right. I am being reckless. I'll be more careful and consider my options if I'm in a situation like that again."

"Good."

We eventually got back to sleep and woke up several hours later, getting out of bed to get ready for our final day of training before the exam.