FOURTEEN

"When's Mum coming home Daddy? I'm really tired." Niall yawned.

It was nearly 9pm, and the older kids had stayed up to say goodnight.

"I don't know, I thought she would've been home by now. I'll call her again, hopefully she'll answer this time." Louis sighed, picking up his phone and calling Ari.

After three rings, it went to voicemail.

"Sorry, there's no answer. You're gonna have to go to bed." Louis frowned, seeing the disappointment on the children's faces.

"But...but I want to give her a goodnight cuddle." Niall said sadly.

"I know you do, baby, but she might be a while yet. You need to sleep. Come on, I'll read you a story."

As they all stood up, the front door opened, and Ari walked in.

"MUMMY!" the children yelled and ran over to her, engulfing her in hugs and kisses.

"Hello you two. Shouldn't you be in bed?" She questioned, looking at Louis.

"They were waiting for you! Why are you so late?"

Ari ignored him, and carried on hugging the kids.

"Niall, Gem, come on, I'm taking you to bed now. Say goodnight."

They did as Louis asked and said goodnight, walking upstairs.

Louis went up after them. They brushed their teeth and got into Gemma's bed for a story.

As it was so late, Louis told them a very short one, before kissing them, and Niall going to his own bed.

*****

"Where have you been Ari?" Louis asked as soon as he got back downstairs.

She was sat on the sofa. "Oh, we had a meeting after work, I had to go, it was important."

"You could've let me know. Harry was upset again, he hasn't had a goodnight kiss for days now!"

"He'll forget about it tomorrow!" She snapped back.

"What did you say? How dare you say that!" Louis fumed, but trying to keep his voice down.

"Oh stop being so dramatic Louis. It's not like he's going to remember that I didn't say goodnight!"

Louis couldn't believe what she was saying.

"Have you been drinking? You have, haven't you?"

"I had a couple of wines. There's no law against it. Jesus Christ Louis!"

She got up and walked past him into the kitchen. Louis followed her.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why talk about Harry like that? He's your son!"

"I know that! I'm not stupid." She said as she got a glass of water.

"I'm going to bed. I can't deal with you right now. The kids and I made dinner. It's in the microwave if you want it." He turned around and stormed off up the stairs.

Ari sighed. She opened the microwave up and pulled out the plate. "Urgh." She groaned and scraped the plate into the bin. She'd already eaten anyway.

*****

Louis was so angry. He sat on the bedroom floor, next to Harry's bed and watched him sleeping peacefully.

"I love you Harry." He whispered. "My Precious little boy." A tear filled down his face.

This was the first time he'd got so cross with Ari. He wondered if he'd done something wrong. If he'd been pushing her away, maybe. He couldn't think of anything.

He ended up falling asleep where he was, too exhausted, emotionally.

Ari fell asleep on the sofa.

*****

Louis woke up at 3:30. Harry was playing with his hair.

"Hello there!" Louis whispered to his little boy. "Why are you awake?" He groaned as he stretched his back. It definitely wasn't a good idea to fall asleep there.

He stood up and picked Harry up.

"Oh...you need your bum changed eh? Come on then, let's get you cleaned up." He picked Harry up and took him to his bed, laying him down and collected what he needed.

"Ooh you stinky little bugger!" Louis laughed, tickling Harry's tummy.

He changed him and got him back in his pj bottoms.

"You wanna sleep in Daddy's bed?" He asked, noticing Ari's absence. Harry nodded, sleepily.

Louis placed him on Ari's side of the bed and tucked him in. He got back into bed and faced his son.

"Go back to sleep, my lovely. Daddy will see you in the morning. I love you."

Harry smiled. "Love ooo Daddy." He whispered and closed his eyes.

It took Louis a while to go back to sleep. His mind was full of worry.

Eventually, he fell into a restless sleep.

*****

Louis woke at 7 and went to get Niall and Gemma up for school.

He went downstairs to prepare breakfast for them and found Ari asleep on the sofa.

Ignoring her, he went into the kitchen and got bowls and cereal out.

He started the dishwasher up and put some clothes on to wash, not caring how much noise he made. Ari should've been up by now anyway.

He was busy making himself a cup of tea when Ari appeared behind him.

"Make me one please?" She asked, making Louis jump.

He got another cup down and made them both a cup.

He put it down in front of her, saying nothing and went to walk past her.

She grabbed his arm. "What's wrong with you?" She asked.

"Wha...you really don't know? Unbelievable!"

"It's cos I was late home? Is that all?"

"Ari...it's not so much that you were late, although you could've let us know. The kids waited up for you, despite being tired. You said something horrid about Harry, and I see you threw the tea we made in the bin! Don't you love us any more?" He asked sadly.

"I'm sorry Lou. I really am. I did have a meeting and yes I did drink there. I should've called. I'm sorry."

"And what about the kids?"

"I'm sorry I kept them up. I'll call next time."

"Next time? So it'll happen again?  And what about what you said about Harry?"

"I can't help it if we have meetings Louis! And what exactly did I say about Harry?"

"You don't even remember? My god! I'm going to check on the kids. Get your own breakfast!"

Louis stormed off upstairs. Gemma and Niall were half dressed.

Harry was still asleep.

Louis sat on his bed next to Harry and cried.

Is their family falling apart?

Hi...

Thoughts on the chapter?

Not long until walls is out. Who's excited?

I love Harry! 💖💖💖

All the love 💞💞💞