EIGHTY

Harry had been home for a week. He was doing ok as he had strong meds to take when the pain got too much.

The previous day, Gemma came over with Roman, his Mum, Dad and Sister to meet her family.

They all got on well. Harry spent most of the time asleep, but did get to meet them all.

While he was asleep they discussed wedding plans. Gemma and Roman decided to get married next month. There would be lots of planning to do to get everything ready for a months time, but they didn't want to wait.

Gemma was devastated when she found out about her brother. They'd always been so close and the thought of losing him at such a young age was too much to handle. She would cry in Roman's chest night after night.

Niall was just as bad. He lived with a couple of friends while he was at uni, and they were worried so much about him that one of them had called Louis with his concerns.

He had gone into his shell. Not wanting to do anything, not talking. He would go to uni, do his work, just about, go home and shut himself away.

End of term was coming up and Louis wanted him home as soon as possible.

Louis was trying to be strong for the whole family, but he was struggling. Perrie moved in to help.

All the time that Harry was awake, he would try to act normally, but as soon as he was asleep, he would break down. 

A nurse would come in every day to make sure they were coping, that he had enough meds and was comfortable.

"Daddy?" He asked.

"Am I going to die?"

Louis stopped what he was doing, his heart missed a beat and his could feel it break a little bit more.

They had decided not to tell him, not just yet.

He sat down beside him and took his hand.

He looked at the beautiful boy in front of him, not noticing the tears falling.

"Yes love. You are."

Harry looked down at his hands resting on his lap and frowned.

"Oh. When will I die?"

Louis felt sick. "We...we don't know. I'm sorry. We should've told you." Louis held Harry's hand tighter.

"It's ok Daddy. Don't cry."

Louis sobbed. "I love you Harry.  I'm so sorry." He couldn't help it. Perrie heard him crying and came into the room.

She nearly broke down at seeing them together.

She placed a hand on Louis' shaking shoulder.

Harry looked up at her. "Pretty Perrie." he smiled.

"Hi handsome Harry."

Harry closed his eyes and shortly after was asleep.

Louis stood up and fell into Perrie arms, sobbing more.

She took him into the kitchen. He was distraught.

"Oh Louis.  I'm so sorry." She said, quietly.

"I don't think I can do it  Perrie.  Watching him...die."

*****

On Friday, Niall finished uni. He came home straight away.

He walked in the door and fell straight into Louis' arms, crying quietly.

He pulled away, eyes filled with tears. Louis had never seen his son look so sad, so broken. They went into the kitchen and sat at the table.

"How is he?" Niall asked, wiping his tears.

"Good days and bad." Louis replied. "Today's a good day. He's looking forward to seeing you."

Niall nodded. "Is he awake?"

"Let's go find out." They both stood, and hugged again, before going into the living room.

Harry was laying on the sofa watching Tom and Jerry. He saw Niall and Louis walk in and smiled.

"Ni Ni." He said. He tried to hold his arms out for a hug, but he was too tired, and they dropped back down.

Niall sat on the floor beside him and hugged him, trying not to cry again.

"Hey lil bro. Attention seeking again eh?"

Harry giggled. "Yeah. Did you bring me a present?"

Niall smiled. "Yes...I got you this." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a photo of the two of them. He handed it to Harry.

Harry grinned, tiredly. "Me and you Ni. I took that photo."

"I know. You sent it to me. It's my phone lock screen too. Look." He pulled out his phone and showed him.

"I love this photo. Thank you Ni." He held the photo to his chest.

"I love it too. It's my favourite." Niall stroked Harry's cheek.

They sat and talked for a while, until Harry fell asleep.

Niall found Louis in the kitchen making dinner.

"He's asleep." Niall said as he stood beside Louis.  "Need any help?"

"No. I'm nearly done. Just  need to put it in the oven."

"How are you doing Dad?"

Louis sighed. "Not good to be honest. It's early stages and I'm already struggling. How am I gonna cope when...when he gets worse? Perrie's been great though. And Gemma still comes round, even though I'm not working now. "

"I'd like to help too Dad.  I'm off uni for a couple months now.  Please let me help?"

Louis smiled and took Niall's hand. "Thank you love. That means a lot. I love you so much." He started crying again.

I have to stop writing sad stories. I keep crying.

Thoughts?

All the love 💖💖💖