EIGHTY FOUR 🎂

"Happy birthday  Precious." Louis whispered as he sat next to Harry on his bed. Harry looked up at him and a faint smile appeared on his lips.

It was Harry's 18th birthday.

It had been a bad night. Neither of them had got much sleep.

"Do you need a top up?" Louis asked, seeing Harry's smile turn into a frown.

"Y-yes." He whispered.

Louis topped up his morphine. "All done. Are you sure you want everyone to come over today? I can tell them not to."

"W-want s-see." Harry replied, his eyes closing as the meds took effect.

"Ok love. I'll let you rest a bit." Louis kissed his cheek and ran his hand through his thinning hair.

He went into the kitchen and looked out of the window. It was snowing, not too much, just enough to leave a thin layer on the ground. He remembered back to the last time it snowed, when he and Harry made snow angels in the garden. They'd never do that again. Louis was pulled from his thoughts by his phone ringing.

"Hello." He answered the call.

"Hey Dad. How are you? Just checking it's still ok to come over. " it was Niall.

"Hi love. Yes it's ok. We had a bad night again, so not sure Harry will be awake much."

He heard Niall sigh. "Ok. I love you. See you soon."

Louis said goodbye and went to make Harry's food.

*****

The afternoon came around quickly. The family were gathered in the living room. A nice log fire was burning.

Niall helped Harry open his presents. Harry was in and out of consciousness.

They ate a small dinner. Sang happy birthday and had cake.

Harry cried. "D-Daddy..."

Louis sat next to him and took his hand.

"Love...what is it? More pain?"

Harry nodded slowly. "H-help m-me."

His breathing was funny, like it was a struggle to catch his breath.

"Oh god. What is it? What's wrong baby?"

"Call an ambulance, quickly!" Niall said as Perrie went to Harry's side.

"His pulse is very fast, but he's having trouble breathing. Harry...look at me. Breathe with me love. Can you do that? Just like me. In....out....in...out..."

"Ambulance is on it's way." Gemma said, as she went to Roman, crying.

Is this the end?

*****

Louis was sat in the relatives room, sobbing.

His baby was gone.

There was silence in the room, apart from the sound of crying.

"Hello. I'm Doctor Barlow." A man entered the room. Nobody noticed until he spoke.

"You can come and see Harry now."

Louis looked up at him.

"He's stable now. He's not awake though. Follow me."

Louis was shocked. "He...he's alive?"

"Yes."

They were all crying tears of relief now. They were certain he had died.

Louis jumped up and followed the Doctor. The rest of them, still in shock, followed soon after.

He virtually ran into the room and straight to Harry. 

He was asleep. He was pale and his face looked thinner than he remembered. He kissed him several times. He was so relieved he was alive. But knew that he was in so much pain.

"Hello my baby. You gave us quite a scare then." He said softly.

The rest of the family were allowed inside.

"I'm afraid he has a slight chest infection, so we'd like to keep him in til it clears up." The Doctor said.

The Doctor left. Louis slumped into the seat next to Harry's bed. They all thought he had passed away.

*****

It was two long weeks later when Harry was clear of the infection, and after Louis begging the Doctors to discharge him, he was finally home.

"You ok Lou?" Perrie asked. She was growing more and more concerned for him.

"Yeah. Glad he's home now." He replied as they lay in bed together. Perrie had moved in last week.

"I know you don't want to hear this...but maybe he should move to a hospice? I can see how hard it is for you."

Louis looked at her. "I...I can't. I want him here...with us. If he...if he..."

Perrie held him as he started sobbing.

"I'm sorry Lou.  I didn't mean to upset you."

"I couldn't bear it...if...if he...went alone. If I wasn't there..."

"I understand. Just know, you're not alone. Please, talk to me. Don't keep your worries to yourself. I love you and Harry...all your family so much and I'd do anything for you. Just don't ever shut me out. Please." She wiped tears from her eyes.

"I'm sorry. I love you too. I'm not coping. I need you. I need you s-so much."

"I'm going nowhere."

*****

Louis started opening up about his feelings. Not only to Perrie but to the rest of the family.

It had brought them closer, if that was possible.

The days and weeks went past slowly for Louis.

He knew Harry's time was drawing nearer the end with each day that passed. He wished he could stop time, or better still, turn it back to when Harry was little again.

Of course, that wasn't possible.

And he loathed that fact.

Finding this so hard to write.

Only a few chapters left now.

Thoughts on this one?

All the love 💖💖💖