Chances

ARCHIE POV
January

It's a New Year, which means it's a new me. I was going to attempt to be with Stella. I don't know how it will go. But I'm going to risk it. The only logical thing was to text her to meet me at Pop's.

I was sitting in a booth and sipping my coffee. I ordered an egg sandwich for myself that has yet to come. I was starting that she wasn't going to come...until she walked in. She was wearing a white-hat, red-coat, and snow was covering her. She looked around and she saw me. She gave a wide smile and I gave a smile too. She walked over and sat across from me. She took off her hat and coat.

"Hey, Archie. It's really cold out! The snow is all the way up to my thighs. Then again, I am short. I'm 5 ft. 1 in. to be exact. Anyways, what's up? It's not like you to text me at 9AM." Stella giggled. She pulled a big case of medications. Pop set down a milkshake and water. "Pop Tate, you know me so well." Stella giggled. I watched her take her medications and then put them away in her bag as well. I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say.

"Do you wanna go out with me?" I asked bluntly. Stella spit up her milkshake on to the table and starting coughing a lot. It was a really wet cough. That's a natural Cystic Fibrosis things though(according to Stella). She finally calmed down and sighed.

"I'm-I'm sorry. You what? I what? What's going on?"

"I've liked you for awhile now. I can't hold in my feelings my feelings anymore and I wanna just shoot my shot. So, what do you think?" I asked. Stella gave a weak smile and grabbed my hand. She was silent for a minute and then looked at me. I don't think I noticed how green her eyes are until now.

"Archie, just trust me. You don't wanna be with a girl like me. I know that sounds like it's straight out of a Netflix movie but it's true. I don't wanna put the weight of my problems and my illness on you. If this is because you pity me-"

"No! No, that's not it all. Why are you having a hard time believing that I wanna be with you?"

"Veronica fights for your affection! Be with her!" Stella scoffed.

"I don't wanna be with Veronica. Please, you don't know me. You don't know me but I know me. I'm boyfriend material and if you just let me in, I'll be the best I can be. I promise that I'll be understanding and helpful. I just genuinely like you, Stella Grant. So, will you go on a date with me or not?" I chuckled. Stella gave a giggle and then a deep exhale.

"I'd love that a lot. But, can you not say anything to Betty. She's my best friend and it would be awkward."

"Of course. We'll take as long as you want." I smiled. Stella smiled too. The pounding in my heart slowed down and I think the sun came out for the first time this Winter in Riverdale.