The Truth

BETTY POV

I sat at the kitchen table. I was working on my Math homework. Aunt Mary was doing laundry and Mom was doing the dishes. Archie was at Football practice and Dad was at work. I was also planing for Valentine's Day which was in a week.

"Elizabeth, are you by any chance going to hospital today?" Mom asked.

"No, I didn't plan on it. Why?"

"I need to drop something off to your father. He left his files at home. Well, it looks I'm going to have to go. I'll be back soon." Mom shrugged. She grabbed her purse and quickly left. Aunt Mary and I looked at each other and I went back to my homework.

"Aunt Mary, what are you doing?" I asked. She was looking through the white clothes.

"Making sure there's nothing but whites in here. Betty, I'm going to ask for a favor. Could you grab the other laundry basket and pick up the laundry out of Archie's room?" Aunt Mary asked. I nodded and walked over to the empty laundry basket Aunt Mary left out. I carried the laundry basket upstairs and went into Archies room. There was so much laundry all around his room. I groaned and started to pick stuff up. I went around and put all of his clothes in the laundry basket. Once I had gotten all of the clothes in...I noticed something under the bed.

I knelt down and pulled the piece of fabric. I then saw that it was a t-shirt. But it was a girl's t-shirt. Now it doesn't surprise me that Archie's hooking up with girls. The problem was that the shirt looked really familiar. I checked the size and it was a size small. I'm a medium in shirts so it wasn't me. Veronica is a small, but this wasn't a shirt that Veronica would wear. This looks like something from Walmart. It took me a minute and then I realized...it was Stella's.

I took the laundry basket and set it in the hallway. I took the shirt and went into my room. I laid down on my bed and just tried to process what I had just found out. Stella and Archie were together. They had been lying to be for who knows how long.

Later that night, I went into Archie's room. He had his AirPods in and he was listening to music.  I shut the door behind me and he still didn't hear me. I picked up and baseball on his dresser and chucked it at him. It hit him and he looked up. He took out his earbuds and seemed confused.

"Why would you do that, Betty? I didn't even do anything to you." Archie said. I held up the shirt and his eyes widened.

"You didn't do anything to me but you did something to Stella. Tell me, Arch, why was my best friend's shirt in your room. And I want the truth, now." I gritted my teeth and said in a very strict tone. Archie sighed and propped himself up on the bed.

"Stella and I have been seeing each other. We been seeing each other for awhile. She told me that she would tell me eventually but I figured she already told you."

"Are you and Stella a serious couple?"

"Yes, I believe we are. I like her so much. To be honest, I don't think she likes me as much as I like her. But I wanna be with her and we're going on a good streak."

"How long has this been going on?" I asked and had tears in my eyes. My best friend has been lying to me. She's supposed to be by my side and we agreed to not keep secrets from each other. I'm so hurt that I can't even describe the pain.

"About a month. She seriously didn't tell you? That's a clear sign that she's embarrassed to be with me. She's scared of me. I don't even know anymore! Just, get out, please." Archie sighed and looked away from him. I threw her shirt on the floor and left his room. I ran all the way to my room. I shut the door behind me. I looked at my nightstand and saw the picture of Stella and I. I picked the picture up and slammed it on the corner of the nightstand. I looked and saw the I had made a couple cracks in the glass. I was mad or sad...I was just hurt.