Friendless

BETTY POV

I was home alone that afternoon. I was still taking in the Archie and Stella thing. I was just sitting at the kitchen table and contemplating this thing. But it turns out, I'd be talking to her sooner.

"Hey, Betty! I let myself in! Thanks for the spare key!" Stella shouted and came into the house. I didn't bother getting up to greet her. I heard the door shut and she walked into the kitchen. She smiled at me and I glared at her. Her smile faded and she set her bag on the floor. I got up and moved to stand in front of her. "Betty...what's the matter?"

"Why didn't you tell me about you and Archie?" I asked. Stella did a small gasp and a sad look came across her face.

"Betty, it doesn't mean anything-"

"It doesn't mean anything?! Well, it sounds like it means something! Why didn't you tell me though? I know we've been distant lately...is that it? The fact I've been spending more time with Jughead than with you?"

"No, that's not it. Archie and I started about a month ago-"

"A month! You've been lying to me for a month! Apparently, you've been lying a lot lately. Because Archie said that he thought he meant something to you." I said feeling lump in my throat.

"I shouldn't have said yes to him asking me out in the first place. It's was idiotic and it didn't make sense."

"Why wouldn't it make sense?"

"You know why! I'm sick and he's not. He's gonna grow up to be married and have babies! I'm...I don't even know."

"Don't do that, Stella. Don't you dare play the victim. Archie said that you though he was an embarrassment!" I said beginning to cry. Stella began to cry as well.

"I don't mean to make him feel that way! I wanted to just wait it out. Wait until he was done with me or college would come. It would be easy for both of us-"

"Oh my gosh! I-It's hard for me to even look at you right now! You're being so cruel to him and his feelings! All this time, you were playing him! Are you playing me too, Stella? Are you just pretending to be my friend so then when college comes, you won't have to see me anymore?" I said beginning to cry harder. Stella cried harder and grabbed my arm. I swatted her arm away.

"Of course not! We've been friends since elementary school! You know that's far from the truth! Maybe you were the fake friend all along. We both know that the only reason we've been friends for so long is because I drag myself along with you!" Stella yelled. I got in her face and gritted my teeth.

"Don't you dare do that! I was friends with you when nobody else wanted to be. You are my best friend and there's no reason we can't work this out!" I cried and pointed at her.

"I can't even believe we're having this conversation." Stella sobbed. I sobbed too and I shook my head.

"Screw you, Stella. If you were my friend, you'd try to understand!

"Then I guess we're not friends." Stella sobbed. I saw in her face that she regretted what she said. I couldn't even believe what she said. But I was just too sad and angry.

"Yeah, I guess we weren't truly friends. It was all a lie." I sobbed. Stella ripped off her friendship bracelet and ripped it in half. She threw it on the floor. We looked at each and we just kept crying. Stella grabbed her bag and ran out of the house. She slammed the door behind her and I just fell to my knees. I picked up the pieces of her bracelet and held them to my chest. I didn't just lose my best friend...I lost my sister.