Not Normal

STELLA POV

I went to the hospital to talk to Doctor Hamid and get an ultrasound. I was in this for myself. I don't need Archie at all. I know that I don't need him. After my ultrasound, I sat on the bed and Doctor Hamid sat on her stool. Her hair was tied into a bun and she groaned when she sat down. She did have osteoporosis and she was in her late 40's.

"You're two-weeks pregnant and things are good so far. I wanted to talk to you more about...Cystic Fibrosis and pregnancy. There's a lot of risks, Stella." Doctor Hamid said and pulled out her clipboard.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well, you had a double-lung transplant about 10-months ago and that's simply not enough time. I'm concerned that your body will reject those lungs. I'm also concerned for your child. There's a lot of risks for it."

"I don't care about me. Just, what could happen for my kid?"

"There's the risk of being premature. There's also a risk of Type 1 Diabetes, Inability to gain weight, Jaundice, and different birth defects. As long your healthy, the baby should be ok. I say that you come to the hospital a few times a month and check in with me, your Pulmonologist, a Gynecologist, and your Gastroenterologist. It'll be safer not just for your child, but for you as well. I also need to know, is the father in the picture?" She asked. I felt myself get really sad. But I reminded myself, "Stella, you don't need him."

"No, he's not." I muttered. Doctor Hamid nodded and wrote it down on a paper. She put the clipboard on the table. She smiled at me and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Everything is going to be ok. Don't worry. Do you have an instinct? I know some mother's have it. I predicted that I was going to have twin boys and I was right. What about you?" Doctor Hamid asked. I grinned and shrugged.

"I think it's a girl. I'm not quite sure but I have a good feeling about it." I said. She smiled even wider and walked out of the room. I got up and started to change out of my hospital gown and back into my normal clothes.

A girl. A beautiful little girl. Not just any girl, but my girl. A daughter. Archie doesn't know what he's missing.